ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Converting Motion Path to Keyframes - with an expression?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
boob weiszConverting Motion Path to Keyframes - with an expression?
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:35:11 am

Hiya, is there an expression that will dynamically convert the bezier points of a motion path into keyframes, like when you copy a motion path and paste it onto the position of a layer?

I'm trying to create a roller-coaster-like animation where there's a main character facing and locked to the camera, and he's flying along a track, flanked by repeating elements (let's say trees), whizzing by him on either side. I don't even need the "track" to be visible. I figured I would first lay down the "track" by making a motion path on a 3D null, then use that to parent the camera+character's motion, as well as generate the repeating elements.

The problem is in Echospace, which is normally great at repeating along a motion path, except only when that motion path is on the original element to begin with – NOT when the element gets its motion from a parent null.

I know you can copy a motion path and paste it onto a layer's position, but that's a one-time transfer. I'd like to have something there that I can dynamically change, because I will inevitably be changing the changing the track a lot as I edit the video...

Is there any expression that can dynamically convert motion path data into keyframes? Or a way to get Echospace to respect the mother null?

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Converting Motion Path to Keyframes - with an expression?
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:51:39 pm

Post this to the expressions forum, you might get better results there. My guess is to pick whip the position parameter in echo space to the motion path position keyframes. Then add this bit at the end of that expression. +value; you can adjust the position if you still need to with that little extra bit there, except it may need parenthesis or something, can't quite remember.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]