ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How were these ending credits made???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle CoxHow were these ending credits made???
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 7:44:57 pm

Hey guys,

The movie Fright Night has a really cool/unique ending credits sequence...I was wondering if you could take a look at the Youtube video and tell me how you think this was accomplished!

Link:

For example, I'm wondering what effect was used to change the color of the footage to that sepia/comic book look, also wondering what effect was used for the blood. And do you think they used a Camera layer for those quick, juttery movements in Z space or do you think they simply scaled the size of the frame up and down?

I'm aware that this could be any number of 3rd party plug ins, but if any specifics come to your mind, please name them here! Basically just give me a quick breakdown of how you think it was done...I know there's a lot of gurus on here who could crank this out in a few hours with no problem! Hope to hear from you,

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: How were these ending credits made???
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:15:51 pm

1. Color correction for the stylized sepia look.

2. Animated mattes for the patches of red.

3. Text/Particle effects for the titles.

4. Dripping blood looks real so either Real Flow or a practical effects of red liquid.Maybe from a library of dripping liquid effects.(Looks a bit to good to be the Liquify effect).

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Kyle CoxRe: How were these ending credits made???
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 11:25:53 pm

Thank you both for the advice! Very helpful...that video tutorial was great by the way John.

A couple more questions:

1). How do you guys think they accomplished those quick, jittery camera moves once the frame is frozen? I was thinking of something like Video Copilot's 'Twitch', or maybe they simply adjusted the Position parameters over a short amount of time, or possibly used a Camera layer. Twitch seems like the easiest solution to me though, what do you think?

2). What specific color correcting effects do you think they used within After Effects? What are your favorite color correcting filters to use? I'm not very experienced with After Effect's color correction capabilities, so figure I might start with the Color Finesse effect to try and attain that look?

Thanks for the help thus far,

-Kyle

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How were these ending credits made???
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:39:09 pm

Not exactly the same, but some of the techniques in this tutorial might help you out: Discover How To Recreate the Sherlock Holmes End Credits Effect

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kyle CoxRe: How were these ending credits made???
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 12:42:40 am

Thank you both for the advice! Very helpful...that video tutorial was great by the way John.

A couple more questions:

1). How do you guys think they accomplished those quick, jittery camera moves once the frame is frozen? I was thinking of something like Video Copilot's 'Twitch', or maybe they simply adjusted the Position parameters over a short amount of time, or possibly used a Camera layer. Twitch seems like the easiest solution to me though, what do you think?

2). What specific color correcting effects do you think they used within After Effects? What are your favorite color correcting filters to use? I'm not very experienced with After Effect's color correction capabilities, so figure I might start with the Color Finesse effect to try and attain that look?

Thanks for the help thus far,

-Kyle

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How were these ending credits made???
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:23:32 pm

Few suggestions Kyle, if you are new to AE, please check out: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6). There are a ton of great resources there, including 2 free series for people just getting started. Both are great.

I'm not familiar with Twitch, but those moves could be created quite easily using a 3D camera. Also, before you go full-fledged trying to create this look using Color Finesse, try using the Stylize > Cartoon effect, and change the Render to "Fill" than adjust the Shading Steps and Smoothness. Then you might want to play wit the detail threshold and radius.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]