ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copying animated masks from one comp to another (3D issues)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McNamaraCopying animated masks from one comp to another (3D issues)
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:35:07 am

Hello all,

I am in the process of doing a stereoscopic production and have a series of shots that have animated masks in after effects (currently using CS5). As it's 3D I have to have the masks applied to both the left and right image files. The masks are complete on the left channel - and when I copy and paste them (key frames and all) to the right channel they paste in fine but of course they need to be re-aligned. Here is where I hit the wall. I cannot seem to find a way to move the masks without messing up the animated properties. Is there some method for manipulating and tweaking the masks in a similar way to moving the position coordinates for a layer?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Aaarge

Sincerely,

Chris

Return to posts index

David LennoxRe: Copying animated masks from one comp to another (3D issues)
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:19:50 am

Not sure how to fix this without a script but I've used this before and it does the trick.

http://aescripts.com/copymask2layer/

Hope it helps you

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Copying animated masks from one comp to another (3D issues)
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 7:11:23 pm

Though that script is very usefull... it will only past the mask as you see it in the original layer.

What I think you need is another one called keytweak

Return to posts index

Christopher McNamaraRe: Copying animated masks from one comp to another (3D issues)
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 7:37:46 pm

thanks so much to both of you for your responses. So, if I understand it correctly, this is a plug in I need to download and install in the library of AE.

And just so I understand it, this will allow me to retain the animated properties of the pasted mask but it will also allow me to reshape the mask and re align it for the stereo clip?

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Copying animated masks from one comp to another (3D issues)
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:59:06 am

Those are not plugins, they are scripts that you can download for free or with a "name your price" method. You will copy them to your Support FilesScriptsScriptUI Panels folder. They will load as dockable panel that you can find under the Window drop down menu.

And yes they will help you automate some functions that you can do with masks, though it would be very difficult to do it without them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]