ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wrapping stills around 3d... sort of.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon mountneyWrapping stills around 3d... sort of.
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:23:55 pm

Hi all, I hope somebody can help me out with this. I have a piece of film footage of a droplet of liquid falling off the side of a glass, shot with a macro lens so the droplet takes up half of the screen, and the client wants images to wrap around the droplet and rotate around it at the droplet moves. Is there something simple I'm missing or do I need to create some sort of displacement map of the droplet, or somehow make a 3d shape layer to adhere the moving images to on a layer on top of the droplet footage? I'm at a bit of a loss on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Wrapping stills around 3d... sort of.
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:44:39 pm

It sounds as if this is a tracking job. You need to track the droplet, then create the image matrix (will it be the shape of the droplet, or sphere, or cylinder?), then apply the tracking data to the image matrix (pre-comped). The trick is going to be getting the images to go behind the droplet - if I get your description correctly.

If I were doing this, I would use Red Giant Planespace - it will create all sorts of matrices - cylindrical, spherical, plus control them, so you can create a "front" and a "back". I think you're going to have to create a roto mask (difficulty depending on how sharp the droplet edges are) which will allow you to create a distortion map which will mimic the distortion and diffraction caused by passing behind the droplet.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

simon mountneyRe: Wrapping stills around 3d... sort of.
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 3:40:29 pm

I don't think that I'll need to see the content through the droplet, so only the front face would need to be created. The moving images won't need to be seen behind the droplet but they will need to look like they're disappearing behind it around one side, with other images appearing from the other side. I'm a bit unsure how to apply a matrix in this case. I can see why tracking the droplet makes sense as it would ensure that whatever layer is above it conforms to the appropriate position, but I'm not sure how to apply a semi 3d layer over the top, nor how to have a still image move over it. Sorry for sounding a bit backwards.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Wrapping stills around 3d... sort of.
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 3:59:19 pm

For the distortion and displacement you'll need a 3rd party tool like FreeForm.

You can download a trial version here to see if you can achieve the look you want.

http://www.mettle.com/freeform-pro/

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: Wrapping stills around 3d... sort of.
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 6:33:59 pm

Thanks Ridley. Or for sopmething as simple as that you can use this version: http://www.mettle.com/freeform-v2/

HTH

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Wrapping stills around 3d... sort of.
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:48:29 pm

You should also be able to get a good result using the built-in Distort > Displacement Map although the set up may be involved. You'd have to create a matte for the drip and create a psuedo-normal map from it in order to get good results.

Still, if the drip wouldn't be hard to matte that's the way I'd approach it.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:41:45 am

Many many thanks, I'll give both options a go and get back with results when time permits. Much appreciated guys!

Cheers

Simon

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:33:25 pm

Hi all, firstly, thank you for the assistance and suggestions. I'm pleased with the result and so's the client. The shot can be seen at around the 34 second mark. Thanks again for all your help.

Kindest regards

Simon Mountney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]