ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slow import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest RosadoSlow import
by on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:43:34 pm

Hello,

I have a fast computer, got it a few months ago, Core i7 with 32 GB of ram, running on a SSD. AE renders faster than on any machine I've ever owned. (AE CS6 / Windows 8)

But IMPORTING media takes FOREVER. If I even drag a nominally-sized JPG file (500KB) into my project panel, it takes 30-45 seconds PER FILE before the hourglass goes away and I'm able to use AE again. Importing videos takes about the same, sometimes longer.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and no change. Anybody else ever experience this? Anyone know any solutions?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Slow import
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:59:43 pm

I suppose someone will ask this sooner or later - apps and OS are on SSD, right? Mine is too, and I have a pretty similar setup - i7 3990k with 32gb ram. Is your media on an external or internal drive? My media is on a separate drive, 3tb Seagate 7200rpm connected to a 6gb/s sata port. I still have a slight pause (3-5 seconds maybe). Nothing like 30-45 seconds.

You also said, "when the hourglass disappears," is that a windows 8 thing? I'm on 7 still.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Ernest RosadoRe: Slow import
by on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:23:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, apps and OS are on SSD. I just did an experiment though and tried adding a JPG file from the SSD to an AE project, and had the same slowdown. As for the "hourglass," it's not an hourglass per se, but the "wait" mouse cursor that we old-timers call an hourglass. For the first 5 seconds, it's a normal mouse pointer, then it turns into the swirling circle indicating "wait."

That slight pause you're experiencing, would you consider that normal? I don't remember having to wait at all on previous setups and older AE versions.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:56:15 pm

Yeah, that's weird. I opened up cs5 on my Macbook Pro and it is near instant. I can't figure it out, so hopefully the faithful Todd Kopriva comes to the rescue on it. I also started this thread on the AE forum at Adobe.com

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1197591

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:58:36 pm

Hey try this: run AE as administrator. I can't seem to drag stuff from the explorer window, but the import dialog is back to fast.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:20:19 pm

Ok, here's my final verdict on this. Not entirely sure because I have cs5 on a mac and that's not exactly a fair comparison. I believe you in terms of faster import speeds, but I'm also curious, were you running WinXP? I can't seem to get the "drag from explorer window" feature running fast at all. If I use the CTRL-I import dialog, it's very fast, but who does that?

So next test. Close AE if it's open already, and run normally. Then try importing a file through the import dialog box, shortcut - CTRL-I.

I tried changing Explorer permissions and figuring out a workaround. Maybe there is one, but I have work to do today and I'm at a pass as to how to drag stuff from the Explorer window to AE and get fast import speeds.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Attila KristoRe: Slow import
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:35:27 pm

Happening to me as well. Very frustrating to wait this long even with a small jpg and such. Would be interested in a possible solution - if someone knows about one please post it here!

Does anybody have any experience with the new AE CC version?

Thanks!

Co-Owner & 3d/Motion Designer

Missing Cloud Creative Agency Ltd.

Http://www.missingcloud.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:05:24 pm

I checked the thread I started on the AE forum and no one has chimed in there either. What I've been doing is using the import dialogue box e wobdoaws. I'll see how dragging from the finder window on my mac works when I get home.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:09:28 pm

Something screwy happened when I was typing the previous post. On my phone right now. I was trying to say import from windows explorer window is still slow so I use the AE import dialogue box.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]