ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replancing MOV clips by DPX clips with diferent frame rates in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cris ol
Replancing MOV clips by DPX clips with diferent frame rates in After Effects
on Apr 21, 2013 at 12:42:33 am

Dear all,

We shot with a Sony F3 using the Gemini to have 4:4:4 DPX files too. The film edition was done in FCP7 using the F3 MOV clips in 23,98. I need to export this edition in DPX 24fps to the lab to transfer in 35mm.

Using Automatic Duck in After Effects I’ve imported the FCP XML and replaced the MOV clips by the DPX clips. BUT the in and out points was totally wrong. There’s a way to import it right?

Beside that, the edition and the DPX have different frame rates. The edition was 23,98, so it turn into a 23,98 composition in After Effects, while the DPX frame rate is 24fps. I tried to change the composition setting to 24fps and I’ve interpreted the DPX clips in 24fps to make it right. Is it the right way to do it?

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Replancing MOV clips by DPX clips with diferent frame rates in After Effects
on Apr 21, 2013 at 2:52:24 am

I would consider everything to be 23.976 to make the editing and conforming accurate.

Once you have your master reels, interpret them as 24fps and adjust the duration of the audio to match (this will affect the pitch ever so slightly). This would be the cleanest way, in my opinion, to conform to 24fps.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

cris ol
Re: Replancing MOV clips by DPX clips with diferent frame rates in After Effects
on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:49:21 am

Dear Angelo,

Thanks for your answer, I did it as you advice but it's not working also. I've imported the XML with Automatic Duck, which in After Effects is a 23,976 composition. The files F3 connected where 23,976 also. Once I replaced the files by it's copy in DPX it appeared in a different "in and out" point. As the DPX clip came in 30fps as default, I change it to 23,976 (in the interpret footage setting) trying to do as you advice. But it moved inside the layer length to another wrong position.

It looks like the old times when we had to cut positives comparing frame by frame each cut!! Any other advice it's very welcome. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Apr 21, 2013 at 6:06:45 pm

Do the DPX and MOV footage have the same time code in 23.976? If they don't then you may need to do a full manual conform.

I assume DPX on recorder and mov from camera.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

cris ol
on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:28:13 am

Dear Angelo,
I think I've heard from the production crew that they were going to be recorded with the same timecode. But if they have different frame rates it seems impossible to be the same TC, isn't it? What do you think?

Return to posts index

cris ol
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:05:14 pm

Dear Angelo,

I just read the metadata of the DPX material. It says frame rate: 23,976.

As in Final Cut the MOVs apear as 23,98, I'm thinking about using 23,98 to conform in After Effects. Dont' you think so?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]