ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to disable Open GL in after effect CS6? I can't export a transparent background! (RGB+Alpha)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
How to disable Open GL in after effect CS6? I can't export a transparent background! (RGB+Alpha)
on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:40:42 am

Hi!

I am trying to export footage with a clean (transparent) background, as I only need the animated icon...done it many times with no problem using loseless and checking alpha+RGB channel...but nothing is happening, i get a black background! (yes, i have my transparent background selected in the comp). Tried exporting RGB only, same problem...

I have been reading some forums and its seems the solution to my problem is that i have to disable open GL in AF CS6. But hot to???

Can't find it and need an alpha channel tonight! :(

thank you!!!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How to disable Open GL in after effect CS6? I can't export a transparent background! (RGB+Alpha)
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:31:03 am

AE6 doesn't have Open GL anymore, it cause more problems than it was worth.

How are you checking to see if you haven't created an alpha, I'm asking cause if you are watching in quicktime player, transparency shows up as black? Have you brought the rendered file back into AE and checked if it has an alpha?

First step, double-check that you have transparency by checking the checkerboard beneath your comp window, if it reveals checkers-good. Next question, when you are rendering, what type of file did you choose and what codec? Will start there and see if we can figure this out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
Re: How to disable Open GL in after effect CS6? I can't export a transparent background! (RGB+Alpha)
on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:53:13 am

Hi J! thks for this.

Ok: so when i import the movie into AE again and press the transparency grid in the comp, it's showing me black, never transparent.

Then: i wanted to export an apple pro res 422 (in the video output window of loseless): when i choose it, the option "RGB + Alpha" disappears.. so i went ahead (just for testing), and did not chose any option, left it as default (animation), and selected "rgb+alpha". why is this happening? is this the reason?
tell me what you think the presets should be?
thank you!!!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:11:02 am

I don't use Apple Pro Res 422, but I understand it does support an alpha channel, so you should be able to render to ProRes. If you need to work in prores, I really can't offer much help. Perhaps one of the Mac users will stumble in here and lend a hand.

As an alternative, you could render to Quicktime, press "lossless", change the format to Quicktime, then press the Codec button and choose "Animation" that supports RGB+Alpha. The drawback to QT_Animation is it creates really large files, so make sure you have the space first.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:20:29 am

I already did this, and i get the same issue...black background, no transparency..no idea why!!? thank you anyway..

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:28:00 am

Just to double check, before you rendered, you clicked the checkerboard to make sure you actually do have transparency?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:28:35 am

Either use the "Lossless with Alpha" output module preset, or use ProRes 4444 which does support alpha.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:25:28 pm

If you need a quicktime movie but can't use ProRes 4444, I suggest quicktime's PNG codec. It's lossless and supports alpha channels.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:37:57 pm

Hi! so i exported losslesss with alpha (preset) and quicktime(no pro res) and it worked!
:)

no idea why apple pro res 422 doesn't??? it used to work before...any idea why is not happening now? I normally work with pro res..thta's why i need to figure this out with 422..CS5 was exporting alpha with 422..

thank you guys!!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:41:06 pm

[Esther Casas] "no idea why apple pro res 422 doesn't??? it used to work before...any idea why is not happening now? I normally work with pro res..thta's why i need to figure this out with 422..CS5 was exporting alpha with 422.."

ProRes 422 does not support alpha.

Are you sure you weren't using QuickTime Animation codec, PNG codec, or ProRes 4444?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:52:08 pm

mm..will definitely double check that....for now i am using pro res 444 then...thank you so much! you save me a lot of time doing research on this!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:03:45 pm

[Esther Casas] "..for now i am using pro res 444 then..."

Ah, then do have FCP, I bet. Make sure it's ProRes 4444 -- four 4's, not three. The fourth 4 indicates the alpha channel.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:21:48 pm

oh thta's very interesting, i never knew the 4th 4 was the alpah channel..good to know! thank you so much again

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:55:07 pm

I don't use Apple Pro Res 422, but I understand it does support an alpha channel, so you should be able to render to ProRes. If you need to work in prores, I really can't offer much help. Perhaps one of the Mac users will stumble in here and lend a hand.

Sorry about the confusion last night, I was reading the 4444 spec sheet. Glad that you have this worked out now.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:45:07 pm

No real clue in your circumstance, but the most common reason for no access to ProRes for rendering is no access to Final Cut Pro on a given machine.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:52:59 pm

i see...thank you Dave!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]