ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I link a property to audio without converting to keyframes or using SoundKeys?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CabestanyCan I link a property to audio without converting to keyframes or using SoundKeys?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:01:40 pm

I need to deliver a file that will be edited weekly by my client with a different video/audio track at the bottom. I want the opacity of one layer to be driven by the audio, but since the client will be revising the footage each week and has limited AE knowledge I need her to be able to just replace the layer and have the opacity automatically update to the new values, without having to add extra steps, like converting audio to keyframes or using Trapcode SK, so I guess my question is: is there an expression that can link directly to the waveform instead?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Can I link a property to audio without converting to keyframes or using SoundKeys?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:05:26 pm

It looks as if you might be able to - here's a previous post on that subject:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/227/8380

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Can I link a property to audio without converting to keyframes or using SoundKeys?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:11:01 pm

Thanks but no, that expression relies on keyframes converted using the Convert audio to keyframes function, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Can I link a property to audio without converting to keyframes or using SoundKeys?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:16:04 pm

The audio will have to be converted at some point to drive a property or expression.

The convert audio to keyframes isn't terribly complicated, write up a detailed list of instructions for the client and give her your cell number. :)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Gordon BicknellRe: Can I link a property to audio without converting to keyframes or using SoundKeys?
by on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:17:43 am

I tend to agree. In a sense this is similar to converting audio to MIDI in Logic. There may also be further hazards if the imported audio is dynamically diverse...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]