ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fifties camera flashes - Going on with the final shots

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Poggi
Fifties camera flashes - Going on with the final shots
on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:30:34 am

Hi guys. ;) I posted almost a week ago a topic about some brainstorming concerning the reproduction of realistic '50 flashes.

I come up with this material, now that I got the final shots and I'm compositing for real, does they "feel" like fifties cameras? How could I make them more "old-looking"? The duration and intensity should be alright, but any advice will be grealtly appreciated, thanks as always for the feedback. =)

Fifties flashes

>

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Fifties camera flashes - Going on with the final shots
on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:47:21 am

IMO, you've done a pretty good job-you will really sell it with the appropriate sound effect.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Apr 19, 2013 at 8:17:17 am

Wowh, thank you. ;) Ok, I'll then refine it a little as suggested by Ted. My next shot will be an "in camera" flash, so I'll probably play with some flares. Maybe I'll upload it as well.

It is really useful to hear your opinions, thanks for your time guys.

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 18, 2013 at 12:29:20 pm

I think it looks good - my take would be to raise the intensity a bit. John is right though- the right sound effect will sell this to the viewer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:37:42 pm

My only additional thoughts are these:

A flashbulb is essentially a point light source. It is not a diffused light source. Thus, the momentary shadows it would cast would be much sharper. They would not be diffused.

A flash is also a light source that is close to the subject. The shadows it casts would be at odd angles, and would be larger. To illustrate this, shine a flashlight at the ceiling. Put your hand in the light, and move it closer to the light source. What happens to the shadow?

In video where I have seen flashes, the light looks unflattering on the subject. For an instant, the subject looks overexposed compared to its surroundings. Following the inverse square law, the intensity of a close light source like a flash would also drop off in a very short distance.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]