ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

TEXT COLOR CHANGE CHOPPY: How do I fix?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Braden BartonTEXT COLOR CHANGE CHOPPY: How do I fix?
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:05:05 am

So I am animating a really simple title sequence for a film I am working on. The words appear and expand towards the screen in 3D space, while the character tracking gets bigger as well. As this is happening, I am trying to have the color of the text go from dark grey to dark red. When I do this, the transition in colors is really choppy. And it is not just after effects it looks choppy, looks this way in final cut, preview, and rendered in final cut. I've tried rendering in animation setting, h.264, prores422 and none of those worked. I've also tried changing the color through the hue/saturation effect, as well as the "animator fill color". What do I do to fix this?

Return to posts index

Paul HennellRe: TEXT COLOR CHANGE CHOPPY: How do I fix?
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:52:36 am

How exactly are you changing the colour? Dark red text, with a hue/sat adjustment and animate the saturation slider up seems to work ok for me.

Return to posts index

Braden BartonRe: TEXT COLOR CHANGE CHOPPY: How do I fix?
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:03:41 pm

Yeah that is exactly what I did. I chose the dark red color I wanted to end with, then desaturated it through hue/saturation, and animated to go over that short period. But the end result of that is a choppy transition in color. I would almost say it goes up in saturation step by step as opposed to a continuous flow.

Return to posts index

Paul HennellRe: TEXT COLOR CHANGE CHOPPY: How do I fix?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:15:36 am

Just had another look it at and still can't get a choppy effect, but it might reflect the time range you're changing over and the amount of change you're doing. Try using the colour balance HLS effect and animate that saturation slider (which has a finer degree of values) instead and see if that helps.

---
Only in after effects do children get to pick and whip their parents.
http://hennell-online.co.uk

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: TEXT COLOR CHANGE CHOPPY: How do I fix?
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 9:29:57 am

Two options you could try, both very similar.

1) Duplicate the red text layer and place it above the red text layer. Now set the colour of the text to black/white and set it's transfer mode to saturation. *I am going from memory here so I apologise if this transfer mode isn't available.*

Now reduce the transparency of the black/white layer over time to "fade in" the red text.

You may have to play around with some other settings to give the precise shade of grey your after.

2) Duplicate the layer and place it above the red text layer again, but this time set it to the colour you want (grey). Now simply animate it's transparency over time.

Note:

If the colour is still "choppy" (I don't actually know what you mean by this, I am assuming) you could try turning up the bit depth for that comp. This will give you more colours, in other words, you will get more steps in your colour changing. It may be worth just turning up the depth value to start with, it might make what you already have work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]