ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'Television noise' artifacts on rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Tan'Television noise' artifacts on rendering
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:50:25 am

Hi, wondering if anyone has seen this sort of problem before.

It's showing up intermittently in the video. Just flashing on and off every few seconds.

Any ideas what might be causing it? I've never seen it before and it's driving me a bit nuts. I'm turning off my layers one by one and re-rendering to see if this makes any difference.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 'Television noise' artifacts on rendering
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:14:26 pm

[Adrian Tan] "Any ideas what might be causing it? I've never seen it before and it's driving me a bit nuts. I'm turning off my layers one by one and re-rendering to see if this makes any difference."

That's a good approach -- see if you can isolate the problem to a specific layer/effect/footage. I'd especially keep an eye on third-party GPU-accelerated effects.

If you're on Ae CS6, I'd suggest clearing the disk cache (Preferences > Media & Disk Cache > Empty Disk Cache) and purging memory (Edit > Purge > All Memory).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Adrian TanRe: 'Television noise' artifacts on rendering
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:00:31 pm

Hey Walter, will try to keep your tip in mind in future.

As it turns out, I didn't find what went wrong! COuldn't locate the problem in an effect, and I don't think it was a RAM problem or something like that (full RAM was never used on export).

But I discovered that the problem disappeared if I exported to h264 (rather than uncompressed AVI). Still don't know why this mess happened, or what the "television static" indicates, but there you have it. And an MP4 export was good enough for this particular job.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: 'Television noise' artifacts on rendering
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:41:31 pm

Which uncompressed AVI where you using? The one marked as uncompressed or the AVI one and then switching the codec? I was using the first and wondering why things didn't seem quite right (options wise), until I realised my mistake.

Anyway, using the first I was getting all sorts of oddities, for instance random frames not rendering completely. But instead of getting "noise" I was just getting black. You could actually see the point it had stopped as the "scan line" tended to be half way through drawing a frame.

Return to posts index

Adrian TanRe: 'Television noise' artifacts on rendering
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 4:00:26 am

Well, I have my output module at the "lossless" setting, which defaults to an AVI container, but then I normally click on "format options" and change the video codec from "none" to "uncompressed UYVY 422 8-bit". (Maybe that's the problem right there?)

Are my settings nuts? I know very, very little about codecs, and these are the settings I've somehow defaulted to for years.

You're probably right that it's some sort of codec weirdness, since it exports fine as MP4 (or maybe some sort of conflict between source footage and codec). Maybe I should just leave the video codec set to "none".

Thanks for your reply, Paul!

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: 'Television noise' artifacts on rendering
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 9:14:55 am

Adrian,

Sorry it was my mistake. I was thinking of Prem. After effects was fine, it was the footage I was putting into it that was broken. Sorry I wasn't thinking straight yesterday.

However I always convert my footage to uncompressed AVI before I put it into AE, always have, it did help once on a project so I have always stuck to doing it.

As for the settings I use in AE, I just use the standard uncompressed option as well. I always render out as uncompressed and then compress in Media Encoder. It's faster if your doing multiple output types and better quality as it will/can do multi-pass. So with that said I would fix your problem rather than leaving it exporting as MP4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]