ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Searching ideas about a nasty Mirror Replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiSearching ideas about a nasty Mirror Replacement
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:45:58 am

Hi guys, while working on some rotopaints and other simple stuff I'd like to know your opinions on this particular clip.

During the shot, they aimed the mirror at the roof to avoid reflections (that still are there, since it is possibile to see an arm), but of course this made it black.

Mirror Replacement clean shot

The objective here is to replace it, but since I do not have any other footage to use.. What could be the best way to do so? I'm afraind my ideas could be a little amateurish.

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Searching ideas about a nasty Mirror Replacement
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 8:58:14 am

First thought that came to me was to track the camera in the shot, cut a mask for the mirror and build a couple of 3d layers - one with the lamp that's in front of the mirror (close to the camera) and the second with the back of the wall that's behind the actor (use the same wall paper and maybe put a different painting on it - but in the distance to create a nice parallax).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: Searching ideas about a nasty Mirror Replacement
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:08:49 am

I'm indeed tracking/masking right now, going just fine. I'll try to create these 3D layers.. Thanks. ;) I was thinking about the lamp being an object that can be "mirrored" easily, but the rest of the room is giving me headache!

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

by on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:18:46 pm

This what I've come up with for now. I removed the boom operator and tried to duplicate wall exterior but it doesn't seem just right.

Being the actor actually reflected in the beginning I don't think that the lamp would be after, so for now I didn't try it. Maybe I could add a door or a painting? ...I don't know, I should put something BRIGHT into it, not try to make things darker to make them not so "fake".

Mirror Replacement test

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Searching ideas about a nasty Mirror Replacement
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:43:52 am

I was suggesting a different angle for the mirror- one where you eliminate the reflection of the actor and introduce the reflection of the lamp and the wall - I think that will make it more believable. Create a Null using the track points (camera track) from the mirror frame and position the lamp and the wall in 3d behind that Null in Zspace to create the correct perspective change.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:16:24 am

Oh! Got it. Thank you very much, a nice idea indeed. I'll do my best to try this.. I'll have some news, as soon as I can. ;)

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]