ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blending mode and AI files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yoshiko Tanaka
Blending mode and AI files
on Apr 12, 2013 at 11:11:10 am

Hi,

I have a pre-comp with many vector images imported from Adobe Illustrator and I noticed that the blending mode doesn't work with the pre-comp. Is there any way to use blending more on imported vector images? I'm a making a short animation and all the elements are made in Illustrator and I'm making changes in the vector files and update them as I go so I would like to keep them in the format if possible. Thanks!

UPDATE:
Ok, I just found out something interesting/ If I turn off "Continuously Rasterize" option Blending Mode works. "Continuously Rasterize" option with the layers inside the pre-comp makes no difference. Strange...

y

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Blending mode and AI files
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:49:01 pm

This method works.

Precompose a layer (LAYER > PRECOMPOSE); in the switches column (F4) activate the Collapse Transformations switch (it looks like a little sun) for the new precomp; in the modes column (F4) you’ll notice that the blend mode popup menu has a little dash on it ““ letting you know blend modes are unavailable for the layer. Here’s the trick: Apply an effect to the collapsed precomp (this can be something like EFFECTS > EXPRESSION CONTROLS > ANGLE CONTROL that does nothing) and the blend mode popup will become active again.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Yoshiko Tanaka
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:29:52 pm

Wow, it worked. Thank you!!

y

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:54:57 am

Glad to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]