ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha Shape Effect Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John cravenMocha Shape Effect Issue
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:07:04 pm

Hi,

I am trying to paste 9 shape layers onto my clip. It seems that the information is successfully pasted and in sync, but the blending modes are giving me a problem. Between toggling the different layers on + off and switching the blending modes between multiply, subtract, + add. I can't find one setting that combines all 9 effects layers. And add does not work at all.

I can use the "paste mocha shape" command, but that will require me to clean up all the non-active rotos, and I have always used the command-v option successfully.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha Shape Effect Issue
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:54:15 pm

Are your mocha Shape effect instances applied onto a single AE layer?

Do you have at least one Subtraction Matte (a shape that is used to cut out another shape) among the nine shapes?

RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

John cravenRe: Mocha Shape Effect Issue
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:26:22 am

Yes, they are all applied to a single layer.

Not sure how I should go about creating a subtraction matte.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:42:35 am

AcccKKk!!! One last Q, are you exporting the shapes (a) one at a time or (2) all at one go or (3) a few at a time?

[John craven] "Not sure how I should go about creating a subtraction matte.
"

My question was, do you have a subtraction matte? NOT do you know how to create a subtraction matte. So, do you have a subtraction matte?

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:05:05 am

I am exporting all the shapes at the same time.

I don't know how to make a subtraction matte, so I don't know if I even have a subtraction matte. I don't think I have one. I know I don't have a shape layer in my sequence.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:26:57 am

If you export all the shapes at one go from mocha and paste them onto only a single layer in AE, the first shape at the top of the effects control panel will have its mode set to Multiply. All instances of the mocha shape below will have their modes set to Add.

If your shapes look fine in mocha then they should look fine, at their default settings in AE.

If you posted a few screen grabs, that may help a lot to finding out what the issue is. If you're keen to provide screen grabs, then provide the following -
1) layer controls panel in mocha
2) effect controls panel in AE
3) timeline in AE
4) comp panel in AE.

Finally, the best example of a subtraction matte is in the creation of an "O". You should realize that you will require TWO shapes (or masks if you were to do it in AE) to create an "O". One shape ti create the outside edge and another for the inside edge. The shape used to create the inside edge is commonly referred to as a subtract or subtraction matte.

In mocha, you can create a subtraction matte in two ways -
1) create a matte in its own layer and set its Blend Mode to Subtract (or Add with the Invert switch set to On)

2) Create two mattes in a single layer where one matte overlaps or overlays over the other.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:41:37 am

When I do paste the data onto my timeline, the first one is multiply and the rest are add. If you want me to take another picture of the rest of the effects panel let me know, but they are the same as all the others (except for the first). Hopefully this helps:

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:47:02 am

The layer names in mocha and AE are different so it's hard to tell what's happening there. Perhaps its not important but I can't see clearly where or what the issue is with your mocha shapes from the Comp Panel.

However, I believe that your issue is very likely due to one or more shapes cutting into each other. BTW, this is your fourth post and you still have not described your problem. All you have done is to say that you've messed about with the blending modes for the mocha shape effect.

I think if you experiment sufficiently, you should find the solution on your own.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:15:52 pm

I'm not sure where you are looking, but the layer names are the same. Except they are flipped over for some reason. If you look at the bottom of the Mocha Layers panel you will see "CN Left Thumb Roto 1," which is the first layer applied in the effects tab, and the list follows verbatim between the programs.

The problem is: I have 9 "Mocha Shape Effect" layers applied to my one clip. What should happen is I paste the "Mocha Shape Effect" data onto my layer in AE and then it should create the cutouts that I can apply over my other layers in the AE timeline.

What you see in the comp panel is the layer with the "Mocha Shape Effects" applied, but it shows the footage with no change.

As this shot progresses, it tracks to the other side of table. As the shot tracks, other people's heads get in the way of the monitor. I created rotos for all the body parts that pass over the monitor's screen. So all the layers in mocha have different in + out points. If I were to toggle with the blend settings in AE, I could get some to work but some others to not work, which leads to....

When you say "One of more shapes cutting into each other," shouldn't that work because they are all additive (except for one)? After all, I am doing what I learned in one of the Mocha tutorials on rotoscoping.

I've been experimenting for some time before I came to a dead end. Then I posted here.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:12:16 pm

I suggest that you copy over one shape at a time from mocha and paste each shape on a copy of the footage that you want to cut out. So you'll have at least 9 instances of the footage.

Ensure that each time you paste, that the timeline indicator is at frame 0. It doesn't matter when your shape becomes active.

When you have more time in the future, try to work out the mechanics using 2-3 shapes. Then come back to this project and see if you can work it out using 9 shape instances on a single layer.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:18:05 pm

That was what I was trying to avoid, but that is my only option. Consequently, I have the same issue as I put each Mocha Shape Effect on their individual layer. To fix this I adjust to the Shape's in + out points.

I appreciate you helping me out with this. Thank you.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2013 at 2:05:54 am

I'm glad you've solved this puzzle. If you'd like to provide the mocha, AE and footage file, I'll take a look at the files over the weekend.

BTW, which rotoscoping tutorial were you alluding to, in your earlier post?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]