ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing SWF problem/weird issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan ParmaImporting SWF problem/weird issue
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:37:54 pm


I was having trouble importing SWFs to AFter effects, getting the message "unsupported format". It baffled me because I have been using SWFs in after effects for some time. These SWFs are coming from an external drive.

as I was searching google for the solution, someone mentioned having an AVID driver installed or setup in an external drive, and when he copied the swf files into another drive, he can now import it into after effects.

So I transferred the swf into my desktop (internal drive), and it imported! what could be the problem here? I used to be able to import from my external drive. These files were created in a PC machine (flash cs6), and I'm on a Mac and my external drive is mac formatted. But I was able to import SWFs from a PC before, too.

What could be the issue? I'm not using any AVID drivers (afaik), I don't have an avid system.


Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Importing SWF problem/weird issue
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:14:48 pm

My guess is that your external drive has a name that includes characters that aren't recognized by After Effects. If it's failing to parse the full file path correctly, then you might get the message that you got. This can happen if your path has, for example, a Chinese character in it but you're running the application in English.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Mary HawkinsRe: Importing SWF problem/weird issue
by on Sep 3, 2015 at 3:07:10 pm

I'm currently having this problem. I solved it by moving my .swf to the desktop. I think in my case, the problem is that the folder I'm using has a slash in the name. The main folder has a title that is something like "Client 1/Client 2". The original AE project was given to me as a collected project and it worked when I opened it up from my Downloads folder, so I knew that it should be okay, but I'm going to retitle that folder as soon as my render finishes. If you're having this problem, move things or rename your folders. I was also able to check that my .swf was still functional by dropping it into a browser window.

This is a bug. I really should be able to use any unicode character in my folder name that my OS allows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved