ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2-3 seconds of lag at RAM Preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Engin Osmanovski
2-3 seconds of lag at RAM Preview
on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:52:48 pm

When i hit the RAM Preview button, for some reason my PC waits for 2-3 seconds and then starts rendering. During that 2-3 seconds nothing happens. No caching, no CTI move, no nothing... This issue has occured recently. There was no delay before. What can cause this?

A couple of days ago i downloaded an update for my GPU. At first i thought that might be the problem. So i re-installed my old driver back again. But nothing changed.

I also checked my cache folders and cleaned them. There is enough space in my disk drive too.

Can it be a matter of Multiprocessing feature being On or Off?

Any idea?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: 2-3 seconds of lag at RAM Preview
on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:54:12 pm

Do you have Multi processing on in the preferences. Try turning it off if you do.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:00:50 pm

In addition to Tom's advice, there is also this: we know NOTHING about your system! As you might guess by the name, a RAM Preview relies on the amount of RAM in your machine.

That's just one of the things we don't know.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Engin Osmanovski
on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:05:00 pm

@Tom

Multi-processing was on. I turned it off and now there is no lag. But i still don't understand. Isn't multi-processing supposed to speed things up? Why does it cause this delay???

@Dave

I didnt give any information about it because i didn't have that problem before. I am still on the same PC. Anyway, here are some system info:

- i7 3770K
- Geforce GTX 670
- 32 gb RAM
- 1ssd + 1hdd

Do you guys think this system specs might be the reason i am getting that delay when Multiprocessing is ON? Is my processor too weak for multiprocessing?

Return to posts index

Engin Osmanovski
on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:08:50 pm

... Or is that lag behaviour ineherent in multiprocessing regardless of processor specs?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:17:15 pm

The lag is due to WHAT YOU CHANGE. If you change the properties of an effect on a layer that goes through the entire comp, AE has a lot of thinking to do. If you chance a setting in a nested comp that is as long as the main comp, AE has a lot of thinking to do.

You change something on a layer that does not last a long time in the comp? AE doesn't have so much thinking to do...

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Engin Osmanovski
on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:59:11 pm

@Dave

I was working on a very simple and 4-5 seconds long project. I encountered that delay even at basic keyframing.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:46:55 pm

The lag is due to the time it takes for the background processes to initialize.

After Effects spawns a process called aeselflink for each CPU you designate under the Memory and Multiprocessing preferences.

I'm very pleased to have read that in the next version of AFX there will be a preference so that leaving multiprocessing on will not affect RAM previews, only rendering.

Return to posts index

Engin Osmanovski
on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:54:23 pm

@Ridley

May i ask where you read that? A link would be nice. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:03:08 am

New Features:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects...

"new preference that modifies the existing Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing preference: Only For Render Queue, Not For RAM Preview: If this preference is enabled, then Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing will not be engaged for RAM previews, and background multiprocessing rendering processes will only launch when you initiate a render operation in the render queue"

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:54:03 pm

I'm particularly proud of that little feature, Ridley. Glad you noticed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Apr 14, 2013 at 3:00:08 pm

@ Todd

You should be proud. Thank you, or whoever is responsible for this change.

That's going to save me (and I assume many many other users) so much fuss.

I'd resorted to turning the preference on and off and would frequently forget which state it was in.

In releases prior to CS6 I'd used Lloyd Alvarez's Throttle & Purge script to accomplish something similar, but with the new Global Performance Cache and Multiprocessing changes, that no longer works.

Return to posts index

chris king
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:09:57 am

It should be a matter of Multiprocessing feature being on.

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]