ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to bring in paint splash videos into my comps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack StewartHow to bring in paint splash videos into my comps?
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:51:33 am

I have some videos of paint and I applied difference mode to them so that the black around them dissapears and then added a tint to get the right colour of the paint splashing.

It looks like this:

When I do it with no white background it doesn't work and remains black. It looks like this:

The modes setting for the paint splash video are on difference. They look like this:

Where is this all going you might be wondering well ...

What I am trying to do is bring the above comp into another composition with a transparent background but the paint splash videos show up black in difference mode and I need them to be see through so that it fits within the new comp nicely. It looks like this:

If I turn the white background on in the comp with the word creative it looks great and looks like this:

but the problem is when I have the white background on inside of the other comp it looks rubbish:

-

I need the background to be transparent so inside the new comp, but the paint video background to remain transparent as well.

Can any one tell me how to set this up?

I think what I am trying to ask is how should I bring the paint splash elements into the compostion with a transparent background.

I have also tried bring them in to the main comp and applying difference but they still show up grey because I have a grey gradient in the background.

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: How to bring in paint splash videos into my comps?
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 10:51:16 am

I have not come across your particular problem before, nor am I in a position to replicate it. But off the top of my head:

1) Have you tried using the "collapse transform" option on the paint comp(s) in question?

2) Have you tried just keying out the background on the paint layers? It won't require you to do any sort of work-around then.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to bring in paint splash videos into my comps?
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 12:01:29 pm

Difference transfer modes won't change the alpha information of you composition. IMO, the quickest way to accomplish what you want is to create alpha channels for your paint splashes by using a combination of the free plugin Unmult and then a
"Levels" effect to adjust your alpha channel.

Unmult creates an alpha channel by dropping out all the black of a layer. Make sure you get the correct one 32 or 64 bit for your system or it won't work.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jack StewartRe: How to bring in paint splash videos into my comps?
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:37:51 pm

Thanks for your help. I will give both these a go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]