ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Write on effect blocky.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin ThompsonWrite on effect blocky.
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:07:49 pm

Hey all.

I have a coworker trying to do a name write on. I've suggested using and image and revealing via stroke. I'm confused however at the result of her attempt: Brush tool with the write on for reveal.

Here is a link to see what it looks like:

I don't use write on very often if at all. Any insights into why this is happening? I'm sure they did it this way to get a more natural and organic flow to the writing of the name.

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: Write on effect blocky.
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:14:54 pm

If all you are trying to do is animate the signature on why not try just using an animated mask?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Write on effect blocky.
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:15:47 pm

I'll bet that signature layer got scaled up, which can create the aliasing. The brush creating the signature needs to be a little wider, too.

When I've done this trick, I always try to emulate look of a felt-tip pen and not a ball-point pen. It's a lot easier, and looks just as good.

I also make the animated signature a lot bigger than necessary so I have to scale it down. Things always look better scaled down than they do scaled up. And I animate the signature in its own comp, then nest it in the main comp: much easier that way.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved