ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Custom resolution wrapped into 1080 canvas

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul EmousCustom resolution wrapped into 1080 canvas
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:07:54 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I have been reading a lot. Hopefully my question makes sense and potentially helps others as well.

I have been delivering custom size videos for one of my clients. Sizes vary from 960*160px to 1832*160px. To give you an idea: They are basically similar screens as the banners you see when you watch a football match. All every easy to make in After Effects, so nothing special here.

However, playing these individual files is a bit of a pain. They are all loaded separately into a crappy media player and nothing plays sync.

We advised and persuade the client to invest in a powerful media player so they got a Hypnotiser HD (GreenHippo) and playing is smooth as silk.

However, and here is the question: I am trying to figure out a solution where I can wrap a 4000px video file into a 1080 canvas. (The reason is not relevant at the moment, but it is a pretty valid one ;-) )

Please see the image below:

Link:
1080pwrapping.jpg

I heard there is a template kind of way in After Effects, but to be honest I don't know where to look.

Hope somebody can help me. :-)

Thank you very much,
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: Custom resolution wrapped into 1080 canvas
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:10:23 pm

Off the top of my head you could do this by hand easy enough...unless I am missing something or reading your picture incorrectly.

Drop in all your videos and scale them accordingly (pre-comp them or comp them to begin with). Then put video 1 comp in and to the top and left align it, it will overhang on the right but that's fine. Now take the same comp and place it below the first, but this time offset it's position so the left most pixel is the one after the right most pixel of the comp above it.

You are basically manually wrapping the video into a 1920x1080 box.

If you want too you can mask the comps, but there really isn't a point.

As I said, I may have completely misunderstood what your trying to do, if I have, I am sorry.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Custom resolution wrapped into 1080 canvas
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:08:58 pm

[Paul Emous] "However, and here is the question: I am trying to figure out a solution where I can wrap a 4000px video file into a 1080 canvas. (The reason is not relevant at the moment, but it is a pretty valid one ;-) )"

Paul is correct -- the most straightforward way to do this is to manually arrange assets of the correct size in a single 1920x1080 comp.

You could create a precomp for each input at its native size, then simply arrange the precomps in Ae in a master output comp at 1920x1080. Populate the precomps with the media you need and render.

Alternately, you could arrange the assets themselves in a 1920x1080 comp, then replace those assets with new ones as necessary, either by selecting the layer in the timeline and holding Alt while dragging a new asset from the project panel over the selected timeline layer, or by right-clicking the original asset in the project panel and choosing Replace Footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul EmousRe: Custom resolution wrapped into 1080 canvas
by on Apr 16, 2013 at 5:34:28 am

Hey Guys,

Absolutely awesome! Makes complete sense. Thank you.

Regards,
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]