ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How much would you charge?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh BatesHow much would you charge?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31:25 pm

So I've just completed a project, received payment etc. I'm happy with what I got but a few people have told me that I need to increase my prices and that companies would be willing to pay more than what I'm currently charging.

Here's the project I am referring to -

How much would you charge for something of that length, style etc?

Any feedback is welcome.

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: How much would you charge?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:50:01 pm

Well for a starter you need to factor in how much you paid for the voice over and music and any other 3rd party materials you have used.

What kind of licensing use did you sell this with?

Before factoring in any of that I work out how long it took me to do and have an hourly rate in my head. You then think about what you had to do, did you do it the right way or not. Could you have taken any time off if you had done it differently. If you had to learn how to do something for the project was it something you should have already known how to do, or was it something quite specific that someone else wouldn't know how to do either.

Once you have added and deducted time (if any) and know an hourly rate you think you are worth you have your starting price. Now you add any operating costs you have and hey presto you have a figure.

Now fiddle with the numbers a bit and see what you have and then add the licensing/purchase costs we discussed earlier and that's it.

If you are busy or they want it as a rush job then increase the hourly rate.

Return to posts index

Josh BatesRe: How much would you charge?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:05:17 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks a bunch for your reply, I had worked all of the above out and got my price but it is supposedly to low, the client themselves increased the amount they would pay me by 25%.

I didn't think it was low but that along with other factor have made me reconsider. I'm more looking for what other peoples rough charges would be, even if they are ballpark figures.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: How much would you charge?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:01:41 pm

-- nice work Josh --

-- happy to chuck in my tuppence worth off-list if thats any help --

----- been doing this for some time and you can contact me on if that sounds of any use ---

---- been thinking of mailing anyway about your site -- need one sorting --

------------------------------all the best---- chris --

Return to posts index

Josh BatesRe: How much would you charge?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:06:11 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks! It means a lot. I've sent you a message regarding the rest of your post.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How much would you charge?
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 12:55:03 am

Have you seen the Freelance Switch hourly rate calculator? Highly recommended:

There are a lot of factors that go into your rate -- including your own ability and market -- but first and foremost it is critical that you can actually afford to work for the rate you're charging. The calculator I linked to above will help you sort that out.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved