ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah BreeseCarrara
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:19:03 am

I've had a look in Adobe After Effects FAQ and I can't find an answer to my question...

I've recently started using infini-D at work, but as it's such an old modelling programme we're thinking of updating it. I'm a complete novice at this stage so still learning 3D at a Basic level.

I've been advised that Carrara is the next choice, but given the stage I'm at I feel that as I'm learning it from scratch I may as well choose one that's potentially a little more sophisticated.

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated,

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Carrara
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:11:58 pm

I'd strongly suggest you invest your time learning Cinema 4D- the partnership between Maxon and After Effects, the intergration of the two programs that if you are starting from scratch that's where I would invest my time. The next version of AE + C4D will really merge the programs, here's a couple of reviews about the soon to released features.

After Effects: Cineware & Cinema 4D Lite

Scroll down for theDemo For After Effects Users

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Carrara
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:05:05 pm

As a long-time user of 3D Studio Max, who started in Truespace a long time ago, I think you should take a look at all the major players. 3DS Max has similar integration built between AE and 3DS, and has had it for over a year. The only thing is that you have to have purchased a subscription to Max updates to get it. It's worth a look.

And whichever you choose - Max, Maya, Softimage, C4D, take a look a the feature set to make sure that it has the features that you need without adding expensive plugins to the initial cost. C4D has been adopted by the broadcast industry, and is relatively easy to get started with - that said, all of them have deep feature sets, and if you go in the wrong direction, you may have already invested a year's time (and that's nothing when you're learning 3D), and not want to jump to another. And of course, there's also Blender, which is free...

I suggest you look at the features of each, maybe install a couple of trial versions, and see which interface and feature set look the most inviting to you.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Carrara
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:14:06 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "3DS Max has similar integration built between AE and 3DS, and has had it for over a year."

Until CSNext launches, then Maxon is ahead of the curve again with Cinema 4D and Cineware :)

As a Cinema 4D user the one caveat I will mention is that I find it's support for OpenEXR and interoperability with other applications (Nuke, I'm looking at you) to be less than stellar. It's still very usable, and you'd never know the difference if you weren't trying to use OpenEXR or another compositing package, but the workflow gets a little less elegant when you move away from the C4D <-> AE model.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Carrara
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:09:02 pm

As John says, if you're an Ae user, C4D is a very logical choice.

Different 3D packages have different strengths and thus attract different industries or kinds of users. What sort of work is it that you're looking to do?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul StevensonRe: Carrara
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:36:22 pm

I wish to add my name to the C4D crowd as well. I have been thinking of getting back on the 3D train, I have had experience in Maya and 3DS Max, but C4D seems the way to go for me.

Plus, although I think it now handles other formats as well, you can plug a C4D model into Video Copilot's Element 3D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved