ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM Preview really awful quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
RAM Preview really awful quality
on Apr 9, 2013 at 8:32:23 am

Hi,

I've tried every option (I think), but whenever I scrub in the timeline the images (vectors on continuos rasterisation) become so pixulated it is almost impossible to see what I'm doing. Also the RAM Preview shows them as very pixulated. However, when I render out QT, they look just fine.

I've tried setting to Auto and Full for resolution and turning live update on and off, but nothing really seems to make a difference, they still even look pixulated in the main comp without moving the playhead.

At a loss.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Paul Stevenson
Re: RAM Preview really awful quality
on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:02:44 am

Whenever you scrub through it will look bad, your computer can't keep up with the data rate/rendering required to do it at full res. Don't worry, we are all in the same boat. If you are in CS6 I believe switching the previews to "Off (Final Quality)" will make it look like the export. However this will make scrubbing very annoying and it's a setting I have never used, or found a need to use. I prefer the "adaptive resolution" setting. It gives you an idea of what's going on, and when you find the point your after you stop and it renders correctly. These settings are set via the little screen with a lightning strike on it underneath the preview window called "fast previews".

If it looks bad in RAM preview change the settings mentioned above.

If it looks bad when the play head isn't moving then you have a problem and we need to investigate more.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:46:10 pm

When you RAM preview, are you previewing a full sized composition or have you changed the setting to fit your computer monitor giving you an odd size like 81.7%, that could make a huge difference in viewing quality.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:52:13 pm

[Olly Lawer] "...whenever I scrub in the timeline the images (vectors on continuos rasterisation) become so pixulated it is almost impossible to see what I'm doing..."

That particular phenomenon is known as Adaptive Resolution, used shen scrubbing, and it's entirely normal.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:56:00 pm

The feature Paul refers to is called Fast Previews [link]. You can choose different preview modes, trading quality for speed, or trading speed for quality.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:38:43 pm

Sorry for the delay! Thanks for your replies. The canvass is set to 50% size, but even at 100% I get the same issue. Never had this problem before.

Think I am being a bit thick, but I've cycled through every option, but still have no found a solution. I'll take another look!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Jason Harmon
on May 9, 2013 at 7:27:38 pm

Same issue for me, not adaptive resolution or anything like that... it's color management. Adobe put an extra hoop to jump through on that front in CS6. Here's the fix that worked for me.

Preview options...

color management for previews...

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]