ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike JacksonMoving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:14:18 am

I'm pulling my hair out over an odd behaviour. Whenever I copy over clips or sequences from Premiere, it nests every single clip in it's own individual composition, one per shot/layer. Why oh why? Is there a way to stop this behaviour? It happens whether I use dynamic link, or import a Premiere sequence from AE's menus, or even cut and paste a clip straight from Premiere into my AE composition.

This would normally just be a minor inconvenience, but it's wrecking every single shot that has a speed change on it, because the precomped sequences are the length of the shot at regular speed, not the re-timed length. Or something. It's hard to tell, but basically I get precomp layers with no media showing, and all the timing is blown to hell.

Adding insult to injury, of course you can't enable frame-blending on compositions, only footage, so this nesting is a huge pain in the butt to untangle.

So - Bug or Feature? Is this behaviour due to some setting I can turn off? Any suggestions for getting my speed-ramps into AE correctly?

Return to posts index

Mike JacksonRe: Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:23:39 am

Addendum - I'm working with 24p DPX sequences on this current project (though I've had this happen in every file format I've tried). But every precomp sequence for all my 24p footage is being created by AE at 23.976. That is BAD.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2013 at 8:02:16 pm

Wow, a bit disconcerted that no one's said anything yet. Has no one else had this problem?

Further testing shows that this issue is specific to AE CS 6. Went back to 5.5, end everything performed correctly. No pre-comped clips, speed changes all came through.

Is there some blindingly obvious toggle in CS6 I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Michael DuffRe: Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:11:37 pm

Hey Mike,
Did you ever find a solution to this? It is also driving me crazy ... i just did a big edit with lots of speed adjustments and now I can't work with it at all in AE!

Michael Duff -
Bearcage Productions, Australia
http://www.bearcage.com.au

Return to posts index

William PoorRe: Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 7:52:51 pm

Sorry, this isn't a response...just dinging in to say that I'm also trying to figure this out, and would be very interested in any solutions!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:20:48 pm

Sorry guys, I never found a solution (or even a response from anyone, as you can see from the empty thread). My current work-around is to import everything into AE CS 5.5 (which I still have on my system), which works correctly. Then I save and re-open the project in CS6 and proceed from there...

Return to posts index

Charles BarclayRe: Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Jul 19, 2014 at 1:39:05 pm

Really frustrating, I'm having the same problem but I'm on cs5.5. Done loads of slight speed changes in premiere and its now messing up the whole flow of my edit! Argh! Anyone solved this one yet? (the cs5.5 & 6 workaround isn't for me unfortunately)

Return to posts index

Charles BarclayRe: Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Jul 19, 2014 at 1:54:50 pm

So, I've found something that worked for me:

My project was shot with 2k and 4k files.

In Premiere I was selecting 'scale to frame size' on all the clips.... this seems to make all the clips into its own 'precomped' clip when you copy over to AE and so the actual clips aren't reading all the speed/duration data, it's this precomp that is and the clips are staying unaffected/confused.

My explanation is terrible, but the answer that worked for me is:

Uncheck 'scale to frame size' before copying over.

Hopefully that works for someone else too!

Best,

Charlie.

Return to posts index

Paulo JanRe: Moving speed-changed clips from Premiere to AE, bug or feature?
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:20:17 am

I can confirm that's the cause of the behaviour that you guys are seeing. Basically, if you check "scale to frame size" in Premiere, it will create a precomp in AE.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:28:49 am

Great to finally have an answer for this! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]