ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

imported video has jagged edges in AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Turner
imported video has jagged edges in AE CS6
on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:13:02 pm

Hi all. I'm at my wit's end with this issue, and I'm hoping somebody here can help.

I've got a high quality, ProRess 422 video with nice, sharp edges on all its titles. I bring that video into AE CS6 as a 3D layer, and suddenly the text looks all jagged - the rest of the video looks fine. But the text looks jagged when I render it, and in RAM preview, and even when the playhead is stopped.

I have four other videos in this project, all as 3D layers, all with text, all in ProRes 422, and none of them have this issue. The layers all have the same settings, with the quality switch set to "Best."

The only thing I can think of that makes this video unique is that I created it by exporting from FCP7 with the "make self-contained movie" box unchecked, and then recompressed it using MPEG Streamclip. The other videos were created either by sending directly from FCP to Compressor, or by starting with an h264 video and using MPEG Streamclip to transcode them into ProRes422. But in any case, the video is clean and sharp when I bring it into AE, so I just don't get it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance....

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: imported video has jagged edges in AE CS6
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:33:49 am

Perhaps your footage is interlaced?

Try right-clicking on the questionable footage item in the project panel, then choosing Interpret Footage. Choose a different Separate Fields value (probably Upper for HD footage).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim Turner
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:49:42 am

Walter,

Thanks for the suggestion! But no, it's not interlaced. I tried re-exporting another version of the troublesome video, this time going directly from FCP to Compressor like I normally would. This showed a significant improvement in the AE project (even though the actual video is indistinguishable from the first), but still noticeably jagged on the titles.

I didn't know what else to do, so I accepted that as the final product. If you're interested, you can see it here:
https://vimeo.com/63611167

The last video is the one in question; the jagged titles are at 3:51 and 4:06.

Anyway, thanks again!

Jim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:57:56 pm

If the text isn't interlaced, this is a bit of a puzzle.

How was the text generated and added to the video?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim Turner
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:14:55 pm

The text was created with FCP's text generator. It looks pristine in the original video, before I pull it into AE. Here's a link to the same video, starting right at the beginning of the same title sequence:

Are you saying that if it were interlaced, it could look good on its own, and the problem would only show up in AE?

I don't know much about FCP's text generator. I usually use Photoshop for titles, and this was actually the first time I've used it (it seems like a faster method to accomplish the same thing). But the source video is certainly progressive - 30p. (The AE project is 24p, but I transcoded the video into 24p using first MPEG Streamclip and then Compressor. But again, after being transcoded, the 24p video looks sharp on its own.)

Do you think it might be because I used FCP's text generator? I don't know why that would be, but then again, I have no better idea, either.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]