ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

render the precomp size instead of the comp size ????

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc De Coster
render the precomp size instead of the comp size ????
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:22:09 pm

Hi guys.

I'm working on a project on which I manipulate 4K video.

Here is the thing. The final movie will be split on four HD screens, each screen playing a quarter of the global picture.

I worked on a 4K comp during all the postproduction and now that it's over I precomped that 4K comp and put it in four different HD comps, higher left corner in the first one, higher right corner in the second one, etc ...

So far, render my 4K comp in half res was enough because I didn't need more than an HD resolution to verify my renders.
But now that I have to render each comp in full res, it seams that it take really a loooooong time!

So here is my question: does AE renders my complete 4K precomp inside my 4 HD comps or is it clever enough to consider that 3/4 of the precomp is useless and focus just on the quarter appearing in the comp?

Or is there a way to tell AE to ignore what's not seen in the frame?

Thanx

Marc

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: render the precomp size instead of the comp size ????
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:59:10 pm

The way to tell AE to ignore what's not seen is to crop the comp. Ae alone can't tell if some light or effects outside your canvas are "bleeding in" and showing something.

If you leave a 4k inside a 1080p comp...it will render out the entire 4k. You can duplicate that 4k 3 times and crop it to each corner. If you get any odd looks. It's because you had something that required positional canvas to render (cameras, rasterized effects and so on).

But I'm not even sure this will help much, because if you still have effects applied to a 4k video... That has to render out a 4k effect.

What long times are you getting? and can you pin point what's causing it?

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Apr 9, 2013 at 8:41:09 am

Hi,

It might actually turn out to be faster to render out your 4K comp once, and use 4 different output modules to crop the render to each corner, rather than rendering out the comp 4 times.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:27:14 am

Ah, this could be a really good idea! The simpliest, the best! I should have thought of it

I'm not at the studio right now so I don't know how long it took to render one of the four comps but I think I'll stop it.

Cassius's idea should work as well but it's true that render the 4K comp just once is quite sexy :-)

Thanx a lot!

Marc

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:12:18 pm

[Matthew Keane] "It might actually turn out to be faster to render out your 4K comp once, and use 4 different output modules to crop the render to each corner, rather than rendering out the comp 4 times."

This is correct. When using multiple output modules, the 4K precomp will render only once, and the the fully-rendered frame will be processed for output. When using multiple comps/render queue items, the 4K precomp will render four times.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Apr 19, 2013 at 10:12:43 am

Hi guys

To close this post, I just wanted to say that teh duplication of the output module with 4 different crops worked perfectly and allowed me to render the 4k comp just once. Thanx

I noticed though that the problems of rendering were due to the native R3D 4K files. I tried to transcode the files to applepro res 422 HQ and the difference was really significative. It speeded up the render, at least three or four times faster! I must say that I don't have a specific graphic card, it's the one delivered with the Imac. I'm sure it would make a big difference if I had a stronger one

Anyway, just to say that with a small graphic card, a good transcode of the R3D files can really speed up the process!

See U

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]