ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

animation reference

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskinanimation reference
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:42:14 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies as I know this question is not directly related to AE but thought it may be a useful place to ask the question.
I wondered if any of you animators out there could recommend any good reference books to help with various postures and movements like standing, walking, running, jumping etc from various viewing angles such as front view side view, top etc.

The closest find I have come across is the below but the review wasnt great

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: animation reference
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:07:33 pm

Hi Scott -

Well, there's Digital Character Animation, by Steve Roberts, which gives you a good grounding in the traditional cel animation, how it's done, and good motion references.

There's Animation, From Pencils to Pixels, by Tony White, which gives a great history of animation, and then flows into techniques.

There's How to Make Animated Films, also by Tony White, which gives a broad overview of the different processes used in Animation.

And there's the king of the hill, The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation, which gives a very detailed overview of character animation Disney style. It covers squashes, stretches, walk cycles, in-betweening, weight, character appeal, timing - it's an exhausting tour-de-force of animation, and it's expensive.

Most of these books can be found on *bay, so you can save some money on them, or from Focal Press, if you want to support a good publisher. Look them over to decide which one fits your needs. Of course there's also the Muybridge motion studies, the first master study done on human and animal locomotion using stop motion photography:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Scott GaskinRe: animation reference
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:17:59 pm

Many thanks for the info Joe it is really appreciated. I will definitely have a look into your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved