ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Preview Rendered Mattes in MOCHA for AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amerie MariaPreview Rendered Mattes in MOCHA for AE
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:41:35 am

Hi All,

I was following a tutorial on lynda.com by Steve Wright for Mocha. During the tutorial, Steve makes a matte using a x spline. Then a few steps further, he goes to the drop down menu called 'Clip to show in the main window'. Then he chooses, 'Matte for Layer 1'.

Or pretty much all I want to do is exactly as instructed, under the title, 'preview rendered mattes' in this mocha guide. http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/rotoscoping-basics#id...

I followed his tutorial correctly and for some odd reason, can not find the option of 'Matte for Layer 1' when I go to the drop down menu.

I currently use Mocha AE CS6 on Windows. Can anyone shed some light on why I this option is not there and where I can find it?. I think Steve maybe using something like Mocha Pro where it is a little different to Mocha AE.

Thanks,

Annemarie

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Preview Rendered Mattes in MOCHA for AE
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:28:56 am

Either you do not have any layer in the Layer Controls Panel OR you do not have a layer named Layer 1 in the Layer Controls Panel.

The naming convention in the LayerSelection Drop Menu in the Canvas is as such - "Matte for layername" where the italicized word is the actual name of a layer in the Layer Controls Menu.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Amerie MariaRe: Preview Rendered Mattes in MOCHA for AE
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:06:44 am

Hi,

That isn't the case. All I've done is made a roto using the X spline which made a layer in the layer control panel on the left. Then with this layer active and selected, I went to the drop down menu. Then got no mattes. All I see is the original file, logo and 3 other layers that aren't mattes!

I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:20:12 am

My bad, I missed the second part of your earlier post.

Steve was using mochaPro, which automatically creates mattes for each layer that is created in the LCP. mochaAE doesn't have this feature. mochaPro can export mattes and shape layer data while mochaAE only exports shape layer data.

You should still be able to work along with his tutorials by exporting shape layers and continuing with AE or any other compositing application that imports mocha's shape layer data.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:33:01 am

Cool! Thanks, this makes more sense. In the tutorial that I'm currently doing, Steve uses the rendered preview for fixing the edge width and motion blur. Since I'm a new user to Mocha, is there an alternate in Mocha for AE?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:11:31 am

[Amerie Maria] "Steve uses the rendered preview for fixing the edge width and motion blur"

The rendered preview is the only way to preview MB in mochaPro. There is no MB preview support in mochaAE - you'll have to render out your masks and apply the MB within your compositing app.

For the Edge Width, you can see this in the Canvas by making te appropriate view selections - see image below.

You will need to do the following -
1) Switch On Mattes View
2) Switch On Alpha View
3) Switch Off RGB View
4) Switch Off Colorize Mattes View - paint bucket icon (only if you want to view the matte in grayscale)

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:40:50 am

Thanks so much for the explanation!:)

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:09:13 am

You're welcome Ameria.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]