ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects CS6 Keeps Crashing During Render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dallin EngbersonAfter Effects CS6 Keeps Crashing During Render
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 4:22:04 pm

I have an after effects project I was supposed to put out a while ago. I kept trying to figure a workaround but I haven't found anything for a week and thought it was about time I got help. I keep exporting a project that is 1:26 and in full HD with a frame rate of 30 fps. I have tried rendering as .mov and .mp4 using many different output settings. I have 6 GB RAM and am using 75% of my ram for rendering. I am also using both of my 2 CPUs for the rendering. I have AE6. I am also running Windows 8. It will render about 5% of the project then go unresponsive. It leaves a corrupted video file and a blank log. When I render I exit out of all applications. The only thing I have running in the backround is Norton 360 and Microsoft SkyDrive. My video is long overdue and your reply will be very helpful.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects CS6 Keeps Crashing During Render
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:05:25 pm

I wished you had told us what you had for breakfast - it would have been a more complete post/story! ;-)

Dallin, you're not sharing sufficient/relevant information with us.

First off, ideally, you do not want to run any anti-virus apps while you're not on the Web. You should of course ensure that all your apps and virus-free.

Tell us the following -
1) The type of source footage you have in your comps -
a) file format
c) frame rate - if applicable
d) any 'interesting information about your source footage'

2) Comp Settings

3) the Effects you have applied to your layers

4) Output Settings

5) Render Settings

Then pay attention to the in/out points of your layers or other relevant 'happenings' at the point where your crash occurs. This will help to to see if there is a correspondence with the error and an effect/layer.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects CS6 Keeps Crashing During Render
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:29:33 pm

Roland has pointed out the issue with your post. More info can help us narrow down the problem.
One suggestion I have in situations like this is to render a sequence of files and if AE crashes you will know exactly at what frame. This enables you to identify possible issues faster and you do not loose your render. In some situations I had just one frame that was causing the issue. I was able to render all after. Sometimes it was a crash caused by having motion blur starting on that particular frame - rendering just that one frame without motion blur and applying a "fake" one after enabled me to string all frames in one sequence and render out the final piece using my delivery codec.
That may not be your case though - give us more info and maybe we can help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved