ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HEROES WANTED: Fading Away the End of A Box For Lower Third Purposes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Asia Taylor
HEROES WANTED: Fading Away the End of A Box For Lower Third Purposes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:13:37 pm

Hello Hero!

Hopefully you can save me. I am trying to create an interesting lower third by using a motion background cropped into a box and then on top of it the interviewee's title. I am using Premiere CS6.

Here's the problem..

I want the right side of the cropped box to fade away slowly instead of ending in a hard box line. An example of what I want is in the screen shot below. I created this however in the Title tool box with the gradient feature and lowered the opacity of one of the gradient markers.

I can not duplicate this in the title tool obviously due to the fact that you can't import video into the title tool window. A screen shot of my current lower third is below.

The biggest problem is that I only want to fade away ONE side of the box and not the top or bottom.

What I have tried:
Garbage Matte
Track Mattte
Blur Edges

So how would you suggest I do it? I'd like to get this accomplished in premiere but I also have after effects and am willing to try and get it done in there if needed.

Anxiously Waiting,
- Lois Lane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HEROES WANTED: Fading Away the End of A Box For Lower Third Purposes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:11:58 pm

How new are you to After Effects?

This is AE 101-type stuff, but AE comes with its own arcane vocabulary and if you're not familiar with it, we'd be speaking Swahili to you.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Asia Taylor
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:02:22 pm

I would consider myself on an intermediate level so I believe I would understand your steps or at least be able to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Asia Taylor
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:13:05 pm

Dave LaRonde,

I would consider myself on an intermediate level of After Effects. Most of your vocabulary should be familiar and if not I'll look it up.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:47:47 pm

It's pretty easy in principle. The tweaking of various parameters takes time. Here's how I do it:
  • Know the delivery specifications: horizontal & vertical resolution, media container, codec, frame rate and pixel aspect ratio.
  • Know the maximum duration of the lower-third.
  • Make a background comp in the delivery specifications where applicable, Create the animated background, keeping in mind that the center third will be actually be used. This step is intentionally vague: I don't know what you like!
  • In the main comp, create the lower-third text, positioning it on the screen where you want it. Probably two lines, and justified left.
  • Add the background comp. Mask it to cut off the top & bottom to create a lower-third background. Mask the whole comp again to create a horizontally-feathered mask, and move the mask horizontally so the left side is sharp and the right side is feathered. Set the Mask Mode to Intersect. Position the resulting masked comp to fit into the lower third nicely.
  • Adjust the nested comp's horizontal feather, opacity, and vertical masking to taste.
That's it!

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Anthony Marzilli
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:15:59 pm

Dave is right but I will at least give you a tool to try to figure it out. Look up Linear Wipe and feather. Those two things can get you there but there are more steps in the process.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:32:49 pm

While what Anthony says will work, and will probably get you there the quickest, the best way to do it, in my estimation, is to create your lower third blank in Photoshop, then import the layers, and do whatever animations you need (if you need them) in AE. This is just my preferred workflow, since it gives me the ability to go back and forth between AE and PS as I need to.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:38:17 pm

Well, I like animated backgrounds on my lower-thirds.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:45:13 pm

Oh...I'm with you there, Dave. I create my "template" - shapes, borders, boxes, lines, elements, etc. in PS, then I use them to cut and mask the animated elements I create in After Effects. I haven't done a still lower third system in about 10 years. It's all about the motion...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Marzilli
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:39:04 pm

To make this possibly even quicker you should just render out the Motion Background video out of after effects with the linear wipe and feather with an alpha channel. That way you can just add all the text in premiere and not have to keep jumping back and forth between AE and Premiere.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:06:35 pm

That would work nicely.

However, to give myself maximum flexibility, I don't know if I'd include the linear wipe. It's too easy to add a wipe & feather in the next application while giving myself some wiggle room if I needed it.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Greg Neumayer
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:02:57 pm

You're in the After Effects forum, so I'm assuming you're looking for an after effects solution. The good news is that you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Here's what I would do, as step by step as I can think to describe.
1. Create the following layers: Layer 1: Your text, Layer 2: A colored solid, set to the size you want.

2. Draw an over-sized round or square mask on top of your colored solid so that you're splitting it in half. Imagine cutting a banana (your solid) in half with a large Tupperware bowl (your mask). This mask will extend quite a bit beyond your window edges.

3. Change the mask feather to be softened to your liking. Start with maybe a feather of 400px.

(4. If desired, animate the "wipe on" of the color bar by animating the position of your mask.)

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:50:23 pm

[Asia Taylor] " I'd like to get this accomplished in premiere but I also have after effects and am willing to try and get it done in there if needed."

The Premiere Pro forum [link] would be a better place to get a Premiere-specific answer, but I'll give it a go here anyway.

You can adjust the scale and position of a clip by selecting it on the timeline and adjusting its scale and position properties in the Effects Control window.

Add the Crop effect (Video Effects > Transform) for hard-edged cropping.

Add the Linear Wipe effect (Video Effects > Transition) to fade just the one edge. Adjust the "Transition Completion" parameter, "Wipe Angle" and "Feather" to taste. They can all be animated.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]