ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding text to an animated shape layer (without losing/recreating all the keyframes!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
val deneliaAdding text to an animated shape layer (without losing/recreating all the keyframes!)
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:48:22 pm

Hi, i'm new to AE, and having a problem:

I've already animated a shape (a stroked path) in a layer, with many keyframes.

I am now being asked to add a word to that shape.

How do I do this without having to recreate all the keyframes on a text layer? Is there a way to turn a shape layer into a composition without losing the animation keyframes?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Adding text to an animated shape layer (without losing/recreating all the keyframes!)
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:07:26 pm

[val denelia] "I've already animated a shape (a stroked path) in a layer, with many keyframes.

I am now being asked to add a word to that shape."

It's hard to choose the correct answer out of the field of possible solutions given your description. There's a lot of missing information. What do you currently have keyframed? The path? The position? Where is the word supposed to be added to the path? Should it treat the path as its baseline? Does the text need to travel along the path?

It would be easiest if you post either a project file or an image of what you have and a mock up of what you want.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

val deneliaRe: Adding text to an animated shape layer (without losing/recreating all the keyframes!)
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:00:50 pm

there is a pink band separating the guy and the lady. As the focus shifts from one to the other (in proportions), the band moves from right to left to show that the process is now online (pink band replaced by blue band).

I need to add the word "ONLINE" at the beginning of the blue band so that we see it coming from right to left with the band. The blue band is a shape layer, with keyframes at various positions. Is this any clearer?....

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Adding text to an animated shape layer (without losing/recreating all the keyframes!)
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:50:53 am

If I were doing this I would create separate shape layers for the pink and blue shapes. Then I'd parent the blue layer to the pink layer and the word "online" to the blue layer. Finally I'd animate the position of the pink layer so that it slides off screen as the blue layer and the text layer slide on. Does that work in your case?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

val deneliaRe: Adding text to an animated shape layer (without losing/recreating all the keyframes!)
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:32:30 pm

thank you!! that was really helpful :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]