ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RENDER PROBLEMS! after effects wont render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spencer dukes
RENDER PROBLEMS! after effects wont render
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:09:18 am

Hi, I have been making lyric videos for some time now and am on a very tight schedule with delivery. I have been using a macbook pro 250gb hd, 8gigs ram. and recently bought a imac 27in. 8gigs ram, i7 processor. My workflow has been much faster since it's a better computer, but I just tried rendering my first video and it will only render about .5 seconds of the video. I have made as much ram as possible available and nothing. I'm rendering in h.265 which normally has no problems on my macbook so I"m confused. I'm using the 30 day trial version of after effects but it lets me render at least a second so I dont think that's the problem. HELP!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: RENDER PROBLEMS! after effects wont render
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:59:19 pm

So you're using the trial version to do real work? Shame on you! I would imagine that there's some sort of limitation to the trial software - otherwise people would just use it...I had to pay for my licenses - so should you...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:10:03 pm

i know I need to I just wanted to get this project done real quick. if I bought the license will my project stay saved and render out

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:14:44 pm

I think the trial is intended to be used so you can figure out if you want to buy/upgrade.

The main limitation of the trial version is that it turns into a pumpkin after 30 days.

There are a couple other limitations, too. From After Effects: Setup and Installation [link]:
The free trial version of Adobe After Effects CS5.5 and later software does not include some features that depend upon software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, Cycore (CC) effects, mocha-AE, mocha Shape, FreeForm, and Color Finesse are available only with the full version of Adobe After Effects software. (Keylight is included, however.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:37:08 pm

Everything I have read leads me to believe that the AE tryout version is fully-functional, but only for 30 days. There is no limit to the length of comp.

I am, of course, open to enlightenment.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:43:02 pm

ya i dont think thats the problem. It's really weird I hahve checked all my setting and nothing seems out of place. But every time I go to render it loads about 2 or 3 frames and exports those couple frames.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:36:21 am

That document that Walter pointed to has a rather serious error. (Thanks for calling my attention to it, Walter.)

Here's the actual truth about the trial version for After Effects:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/04/improved-trial-version-for-afte...

It is fully functional... except that it times out after 30 days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:09:08 pm

[spencer dukes] " I just tried rendering my first video and it will only render about .5 seconds of the video. I have made as much ram as possible available and nothing. I'm rendering in h.265 which normally has no problems on my macbook so I"m confused. I'm using the 30 day trial version of after effects but it lets me render at least a second so I dont think that's the problem. HELP!"

Um, are you rendering or RAM Previewing? There's a big difference. AE can render until the cows come home, but its RAM Preview capability is limited by... well, the amount of RAM you have.

Secondly, never, EVER render out of AE using H.264. There are two reasons.
The main reason is that you can use Adobe Media Encoder, open the project in question, find the comp you want to render, and AME does a far better job of H.264.

The other reason to avoid H.264 is because it is inherently lossy: you lose image quality with H.264 no matter what you do. AE is the kind of application that passes your work along to the NEXT application. Thus, you want to preserve as much image quality as possible. Since you don't say what's next for your magnum opus, it's tough to give advice on the precise path to take.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:14:54 pm

I am rendering, my ram preview is working fine, just like normal. I have always rendered in H.265 out of AE and I'm sure your points are valid but I'm just wondering why it won't render past 1 second. If you think it would help to go into AME could you tell me how to do that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:05:07 pm

The most obvious reason: you have your comp's Work Area set to a half-second. AE defaults to rendering only the part of the comp defined by the Work Area.

Check it out here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:26:57 pm

nope haha I made sure to check, I have been doing this for a while, I have exported 15 or so motion graphics videos this exact way and it's just not working this time. I really appreciate your help if you know of any reason it should be doing this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:42:08 pm

Well, since you use the term "export" rather than "render", I am led to believe that you don't use the AE Render Queue. True? False?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:45:41 pm

sorry for using that, I do use render queue. It has worked perfect for every other video I have done. IS there a strage setting that I don't know about that would cause this

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:52:27 pm

Can you answer a few questions?

What kind of footage are you using in the comp?
What effects?
Are you getting any error messages?

Let's also try a couple things to eliminate some variables.

Render with the Lossless output module instead of H.264.
Render to a different disk.
Disable multiprocessing (if it's enabled) in the preferences.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:03:22 pm

ok I am using motion graphics stuff text layers, photo backgrounds, but for the first time I used some new plugins. optical flares and twitch. they work fine in ram preview but I've never tried to render with them. I tried turning off multiprocessing and rendered to lossless but the same problem. How do I render to a different disk?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:11:41 pm

[spencer dukes] "ok I am using motion graphics stuff text layers, photo backgrounds, but for the first time I used some new plugins. optical flares and twitch. they work fine in ram preview but I've never tried to render with them."

Are you RAM-previewing at the same zoom and resolution (100%/Full) as you are rendering?

What happens if you Composition > Save RAM Preview...

Have you tried disabling GPU rendering with Optical Flares? (Uncheck Use GPU)

[spencer dukes] "I tried turning off multiprocessing and rendered to lossless but the same problem. How do I render to a different disk?"

Add your comp to the render queue, then click on on the name to the right of "Output to." Select a different volume attached to your system as the destination for the file.

This won't be an option if you having nothing else besides Macintosh HD attached to your system, in which case you can please verify that you have plenty of free disk space and that you are writing to a directory that you have permissions for and can successfully create other files in.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:25:59 pm

ok so i figured it out. it was the twitch plugin. i deleted the layer and its working. I make lyric videos for bands. I normally export in h.265 but what do you recommend for the higher quality.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:13:15 pm

[spencer dukes] "I normally export in h.265 but what do you recommend for the higher quality."

Don't use AE. Use Adobe Media Encoder. You can open AE comps in AME, and do a MUCH better job of encoding to H.264 using it.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

spencer dukes
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:20:46 pm

ok so I can open my projects in AME?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:29:32 pm