ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Framerate issues with videoblocks?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Beckham
Framerate issues with videoblocks?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:30:40 am

I'm doing quite basic stuff in AE. To make a shortcut to more nice stuff, I've considered a few of the templates from videoblocks. In their documentation they state that framerate conversion is not an issue. In my experience framerate conversion is ALWAYS an issue... Am I wrong? All my projects are 25 fps, and all the files on Videoblocks are 30 fps.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Framerate issues with videoblocks?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:53:01 pm

If there is no audio then simply interpret the footage as 25fps. You do this in the Interpret Footage dialog window. You will have a lightly longer duration; with 5 additional frames for each second of the original video.

RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Jessica Beckham
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:58:49 pm

Thanks for your input, Roland.

My experience is (mainly) with 30 -> 25 fps video sequences. Not with AE templates. Nevertheless my results and therefore my experince is... erm... bad! It seems that no matter what I do, there will always be small "jumps" in the video track.

But what you're saying is, that video will be identical (viewing vise, not spec wise - as 30 fps changes in the specs!) and equally smooth etc!?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:10:28 pm

Hi Jessica, for video-only stuff, do as I had suggested in my earlier post. For templates, it's best that you change each comp's frame rate to 25fps. You don't have to do so if there aren't any imported non-25fps footage in those comps.

It's obviously a lot easier to simply change all the comps - use the following Javascript to do this in one quick step - http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_CompSetter

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:45:50 pm

Yes, if you do as Roland suggested, your video won't stutter...It's relatively simple to understand. If you leave as 30fps, in a 25fps comp. It can only display 25f in every sec, so every 5frames it will skip one, hence the jump.

keep in mind that if it was the opposite, you can keep a 25fps clip in a 30fps comp, and turn on frame blending(AE will try to interpolate) to eliminate the jumps while maintaining the duration.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:52:58 pm

If the video footage is 29.97 fps -- the REAL 30fps frame rate -- and you conform it to 25fps, the motion will be slower than the original by a factor of 29.97/25, or 1.1988. In other words, a little bit slower, and problematic for audio channels; the audio will change pitch as it slows down.

If there is no video or image sequence footage in the comp, you can change the frame rate for ALL comps in the template to 25fps.

As you scrutinize the comps totally zoomed in on the timeline, you will note that the keyframes don't lie on the frames. You can simply move them, if you wish.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jessica Beckham
on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:44:40 pm

Hey guys. Thanks a lot for your very informative responses. I'll give it a go... Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]