ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Odometer Tutorial - Slot Machine question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrea MillerOdometer Tutorial - Slot Machine question
by on Apr 3, 2013 at 11:46:22 am

I am making a slot machine TV Station identification graphic. I want my machine to stop on certain symbols. I used the odometer podcast. Everything is spinning fine (except, there weren't any odometer presets to download). How do I get the reels to stop on a particular symbol.

I made the reel graphic in Photoshop.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Odometer Tutorial - Slot Machine question
by on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:48:46 pm

If I recall correctly, that tutorial uses the Offset effect in a precomp to create the roll, then uses time-remapping on that precomp to animate it. A series of these reels are linked together with a few expressions and some math to give you a single control over all the reels.

The works very well in the odometer example, where there are ten digits. If you have fewer (or more) than ten symbols on your reel, the math won't work the same way.

I'd consider ditching the expressions that tie it all to a single slider. I'd time your precomp such that the loop length matches the number of symbols -- in other word, if you have six symbols, your offset loop precomp should be 6 seconds long.

Finally, back in the main comp, I'd tie the time-remapping back to a slider control on each layer as follows:
effect("Slider Control")("Slider") % 6

Now you can get a specific symbol on the reel by animating the slider control to a whole number.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Adrea MillerRe: Odometer Tutorial - Slot Machine question
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:40:38 am

I got it working perfectly. I actually stopped after part one of the podcast and finagled with the numbers. Continued to part 3 for the slot machine look!!

Thank you so much for your help. Here is a link to it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved