ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

User interface problem - Switched monitors and now the timeline navigator is really small

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christine Tang
User interface problem - Switched monitors and now the timeline navigator is really small
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:50:05 pm

Hi,

If anyone knows the answer to this probably very minor problem, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Switched monitors and now I can't get the timeline navigator to drag to the left to elongate the view of my keyframes/workflow. I tried toggle already to make some of the layer options go away but it still isn't giving me any indication that I can drag the bar from the right hand side to make the Timeline bigger.

Been searching on google/forum and I am getting "time extension" instead of what I need which is related to strictly the timeline navigator.

Attached screenshot.
uiproblem.jpg

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: User interface problem - Switched monitors and now the timeline navigator is really small
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:09:11 pm

There seems to be nothing in your AE comp. Is this what you want?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christine Tang
Re: User interface problem - Switched monitors and now the timeline navigator is really small
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:18:39 pm

Hi Dave,

Oh no, I haven't started a project yet. I opened up a tutorial file and then I realized the timeline could not be moved to the left so I could see all the keyframes comfortably in the project file.

I don't want to scale down the size of timeline any smaller so that I can get all the keyframes into view. It will be difficult to work like that for any future projects.

The timeline was originally much longer on the other monitor.
Is this odd this has happened since I switched monitors?

Thank you for your quick reply! :)

Return to posts index

Christine Tang
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:35:27 pm

Sorry before I came to the forum... I was trying to get the timeline navigator longer through the Toggle mode but it wasn't working. I just right clicked and found I could hide the Columns. On the other monitor I never had to hide the columns and had enough room for the timeline navigator. I guess I will need to right click and bring the Columns back everytime I need something in order to get the timeline to a better size.

It would be nice if there was a way to just drag the right hand timeline navigator like it's own panel so I could resize it and not have to hide my "usual" columns... unless there is already a way? Right now, the line between the layers and the timeline is still dimmed out and undraggable.

Thanks. Sorry if this is just a weird issue on my end... It's ok now with hiding the columns as a solution.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:42:21 pm

I recommend looking at the ENTIRE AE projcet file.

Are you new to AE? You Should understand that this is one of the most incomprehensible applications ever devised by man. You REALLY need to start here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

Believe me, ma'am, this is not the type of application you can learn with just a couple of easy tutorials. You do so at your peril, and that is no joke.

Learn the basics. Find success.
Blow off the basics. Find frustration.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Christine Tang
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:45:00 pm

Ok thanks for the tip. I'm coming from Illustrator so I'd like to learn some AE in my spare time. :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:33:35 pm

[Christine Tang] "...I'm coming from Illustrator so I'd like to learn some AE in my spare time..."

Even so, I still recommend the link above. There is a good reason: not all Adobe applications are original to the company, they have had to incorporate many of them as best they could, and of all of them, AE is probably the most problematic... it has pictures that move, you see. It makes a very great difference.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]