ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting resized video files quickly? Green screen work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris JordanExporting resized video files quickly? Green screen work
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:57:19 pm

Hello all! LONG story short:

I have 90+ short 30 second clips I need to export after being keyed in AE to H.264 160X120

these clips are originally 1920X1080P 23.976. I used Primatte keyer from RG to key the footage.

Here is my issue: THESE ARE TAKING FOREVER to render. I am exporting to H.264 160X120, with Audio. I have tried multiple settings within the h.264 codec, but the time it takes for them is the same: 30min - 1 hour per clip.

My machine: newest imac 32GB ram, 2GB vram nvidia card, cs6

Please help if possible, you know the drill: client needs it yesterday

Could one have TOO many lenses? I submit that one cannot.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exporting resized video files quickly? Green screen work
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:31:02 pm

DO NOT USE H.2664!!!! IT DOES NOT SUPPORT ALPHA CHANNELS!!!</B>

If I read your post correctly, you need a codec that supports alpha channels. Are you using one?

[Chris Jordan] "...but the time it takes for them is the same: 30min - 1 hour per clip. "

It might be just fine. What are the duration of thie clips, what is their frame rate, and what is the codec of the clips? It makes a difference.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris JordanRe: Exporting resized video files quickly? Green screen work
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:48:24 pm

Thanks for quick response. I am actually exporting with a background. So I have been exporting as stated earlier. Please see attached images.

"What are the duration of thie clips, what is their frame rate, and what is the codec of the clips? It makes a difference."

The original durations are varied between 35 seconds to 1 minute each. I have cut them according to our needs per clip. The original files are AVCHD shot on a GH2. They are MTS files when transferred into AE. They frame rate is 23.976

Could one have TOO many lenses? I submit that one cannot.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:59:42 pm

Then I need to ask: you why do you use H.264? Such compression is not well done in AE: it can't do multiframe compression, which is better done in Adobe Media Encoder. You can open an AE project in AME to get a better result.

Even if you Use Adobe Media encoder, I must ask why you use a lossy codec like H.264? Where does this work go NEXT? It's not a frivolous question....

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Chris JordanRe: Exporting resized video files quickly? Green screen work
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:10:20 pm

It's what the client uses. These videos go onto a interactive online media center. I totally agree with everything you said. They end up being so tiny quality doesn't matter too much, as long as they don't look pixelated. Parameters they gave me say the videos need to be: 160X120 Video=800/kbs, Audio=128kbs

So how could I better move the process along for now? In the future should I be using different software? I just can't spend 30 min+ rendering each clip. The keyer in Premiere isn't as good, which is why we used AE.

Chris Jordan
Shot Calla- Creative Director
Sugareffect.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:38:36 pm

Sorry, it's not going to be as speedy as you want. You shoot in full resolution, you need to do your work in full resolution, and THEN you should reduce the resolution to avoid the inevitable reduction in image quality.

There's one way to do what you want: reduce the size of the original video before you begin AE work. If you ever think the results will need to be larger, this is a horrible idea, however. Care to roll the dice on whether you'll be called to make things bigger in the future? Remember the Rhythm And Hues Case... is this part of your conundrum?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06:27 pm

Okay, here's my best advice IF YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT STORAGE:

DO NOT render out of AE. Make sure your full-sized comps are right. Save the project.

Open Adobe Media Encoder. Open the AE project, add ONE AE comp to the queue, make a custom H.264 compression preset in the size you need, and select a destination folder.
Add the rest of the AE project's main comps to AME.
Save the AME project, then go.

You should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Exporting resized video files quickly? Green screen work
by on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:11:03 am

[Chris Jordan] " The original files are AVCHD"

Personally I wouldn't use AVCHD unless I absolutely have to. It's a pretty awful codec to work with, at least in Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]