ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

A challenging effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Norris
A challenging effect.
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:53:32 pm

Hey guys,

Apologise in advance if this is the wrong part of the forum to post in, but Ae is the program I would prefer to use.

Basically the effect I want to create is featured below (The whole mirror, ripples, gloopy glass thing):

I've got the ripple pretty much nailed, but can't for the life of me figure out the rest. If you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated (if this needs to be achieved using alternative software, that's fine.)

Thanks very much,
Scott

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: A challenging effect.
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:34:20 pm

There are about NINE different techniques -- both 2-D and 3D -- in that clip. Not to mention the color correction and color grading.

Do you care to specify which times in that clip you wish to replicate?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Norris
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:12:06 pm

Thank you for your swift replies.

It is only the very start of the clip I wish to replicate, just the one shot, sorry for not being more explicit. The ripple on the mirror, followed by the gloopy material stuck to the hand, but not the pinging back and wavey reflection or anything afterwards.

After a series of tests, my best results so far have been to film the hand from two angles simultaneously, one acting as the mirror, and a clean plate. I then comped the reflected hand into the mirror, roto'd the non mirrored hand and added the ripple on the mirror. This was all in an attempt to have my hand actually pass through and interact with the mirror.

I'll check out the examples provided for the ripple effects, they seem promising, but if there is anything else you can add to help, or anything you need further described, please say. Thanks again,

Scott.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 2, 2013 at 6:16:25 am

FreeForm Pro can help you achieve something similar to the mirror ripple. Check out the example below:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott Norris
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:12:48 pm

This looks promising, Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:45:29 pm

This tutorial by Eran Stern might be something that might help you figure this out:

The Pusher

Here's an older tutorial on caustics/wave world you also might find useful:

Caustics: Dropping the Cow into A Pool of Water

But like Dave stated it would be easier if you picked out the different effects in that video and asked about each one individually, cause there is quite a lot going on in that clip.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Scott Norris
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:15:09 pm

Thanks for your response! The only effect I'm looking to replicate is the shot where he first touches the mirror and pulls off the gloopy material so these tutorials look promising, thank you.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:44:43 pm

You might want to look at the glue gun effect, play with it a little. From the description, it produces a liquid stroke from animated producer point. It might help you pull off the "gloopy material" part of the effet.

Good luck.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]