ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How can I achieve this look using After Effects CS5?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simona VackovaHow can I achieve this look using After Effects CS5?
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 4:50:59 am

I am editing a music video and I would like to replicate the look of The Band Perry's video, "Better Dig for Two." Can someone give me some pointers on how I can achieve the look in After Effects and/or Color Finesse?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How can I achieve this look using After Effects CS5?
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 4:26:08 pm

It looks to me as if this is a preset from Magic Bullet Looks. It would be best to use MB Looks for this, because it automatically finds the skin colors, gives you a map of the colors it will preserve, and then masks those skin tones to preserve them, if that's what you're going for. If you look at Twilight - you look at it, I can't -

While it can be done in AE simply using the AE color correction tools, or Color Finesse, it will be a much lengthier process. Lower the saturation a bit, bring up the contrast a bit, and bring the midtones and darks toward the blue end of the color range (subtly).

There's another choice from Video Copilot, and it will only set you back 50 dollars, for fifty cinema styles - not bad at a buck a style:

You mention Color Finesse - you can also use the Presets in CF to get close to the look, and then tweak to what you like. Here's a very good tute by Andrew Devis on Color Finesse:

There are also gradients used in some shots where there's too much brightness in the background sky, some lens flare elements here and there, and the (of course) smoke machine. The simplest way to start visualizing what you're looking for is to simply use the Photo Filters in Color Correction, and start picking some of the Blue filters - it will immediately get you close.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved