ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

font characters not the same between after effects and illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tylor Larsonfont characters not the same between after effects and illustrator
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:31:01 pm

I have a font that is doing some strange things in AE. it is Impact Label which it looks like an old school label gun. i got it from Dafont.

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=impact+label

the issue I'm having is that if i write a title out that has a Space in it, inside after effects the space shows up as and empty character... which is strange because if I write the same thing out in Illustrator i get a the correct space, which is a black box that matches the rest of the font family.

i even when so far to copy and past the correct line out of AI and paste it into after effects... but no dice it swaps out the space with and empty character. has any one run into this before?

BTW im on a Mac cs5.5
TY

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: font characters not the same between after effects and illustrator
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:33:51 pm

Where did you PUT this font when you installed? The specific file path, please.....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tylor LarsonRe: font characters not the same between after effects and illustrator
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:02:34 pm

myComputer/Library/Fonts

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: font characters not the same between after effects and illustrator
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:06:55 pm

Have you either 1) turned the computer off or 2) restarted it
since you installed this font?

Turning it off, going to the bathroom, then turning it on again is probably best.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Tylor LarsonRe: font characters not the same between after effects and illustrator
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:08:54 pm

Yes i have restarted... even turned it off overnight ... but I'm willing to give it another go... got anything else i can try?

ty

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:22:16 pm

no dice...

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:28:56 pm

On a windows box? Try "root_directory" (usually c:/) > Windows > Fonts.

Never had a problem with that one. Remove the other copy of the font, too.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: font characters not the same between after effects and illustrator
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:41:15 pm

Interesting. I just tried the font, and can't get it to make a "normal" space either. Maybe AE just assumes that a space is a space. The font does come with a reversed version though. I would just use that colored white with a solid behind for the label. It should give you more control over the look anyway.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:04:03 pm

... i thought of the same thing.. but i was trying not to create extra elements,... it just bugs me that i can do it in illustrator, but not in AE. i have gone so far as to make AI files and then import them so i could have the space... I'm animating it as a write on effect... having it punch on one letter at a time.. so i used a linear wipe with hold frames to reveal the later one letter at time.

again i was hoping it was something i was doing wrong.. but it looks like other users are having the same issues.

TY

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:56:54 pm

in my original post i said i was on a mac. cs 5.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]