ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

23.98p to 29.97i

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Bonnett
23.98p to 29.97i
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:12:38 pm

Hi All,

I'm sorry to ask this again as I know this has been covered many times in many ways on this forum.... I've read most of them and they have helped me in many ways..... Also apologies as I've posted this in the FCP forum too.....

We have recently been editing together various combinations of load of clips from a client to run on loops on different TV screens. Almost all the content was sent to us as 29.97i MPEGS that we've had to extract and work from. This has been a joy in itself. We have now been sent two clips bits of which they wish to add in to one of our edits and these are at 23.976p.

Now I know that the best way to do this is hardware, hardware that we don't have in house, and the boss is reluctant to shell out on an Alchemist at the moment so software it is.....

After Effects
Made the edits in FCP at 23.98p and exported to a new master.
Added this file to AE
Dragged into new Comp in AE
Added to Render Queue,
Frame Blending On For Checked Layers
Field Render Upper Field First
3:2 Pulldown WSSWW

I think that I have followed those procedures correctly? The problem we are having is ghosting on the clip during a few periods of fairly rapid motion once it is edited in to the timeline, exported and displayed on the TV with all of the above techniques. Is this unavoidable using this method or have I missed something somewhere?

I've also tried in Compressor with the following settings with similar results....

What I have tried so far.
Compressor:
Made the edits at 23.98p and exported to a new master.
Added this file to Compressor
Set to export a new ProRes (HQ) file with frame controls turned on.
Changed the frame rate in video settings to 29.97
Set Output Fields to Upper Field first and Deinterlace to Best (just in case)
Set Duration to 100% of Source
Set Rate Conversion to Fast - I have also tried Best

Once again thanking everybody for their, ongoing, help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 23.98p to 29.97i
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:05:37 pm

[Jack Bonnett] "After Effects
Made the edits in FCP at 23.98p and exported to a new master.
Added this file to AE
Dragged into new Comp in AE
Added to Render Queue,
Frame Blending On For Checked Layers
Field Render Upper Field First
3:2 Pulldown WSSWW"

...and I hope your AE frame rate is ALSO 23.976 in AE, because FCP lies! Lies, I say!

But you left out a vital piece of information: is this SD or HD? At 1080, the field order is UPPER field first. At SD, the field order is LOWER field first.

Unless, of course, the footage is 640x480, which is upper field first. This field order stuff isn't much fun: you pretty much have to memorize it... or know full well that you have to look it up.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]