ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Missing File Error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony DsouzaMissing File Error
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:25:42 pm

I am new to After Effects and facing a problem with the after effects source files, While editing a After Effects file I imported my files from various locations in my computer and rendered the video without any problems but when my clients asked for the after effects source files I am having a big problem because the client says after effects shows Missing Files Error. Can anybody help me with this?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Missing File Error
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:33:21 pm

If you are sure you gave the file to your client, tell him to double click the file in the Project window, it will open up the dialogue box so and from there he can navigate and reload the file. I'm guessing that AE is looking for the file from a path structure on your network/system that isn't on his. Not that I would ever give a client my project(Never) or source files(very rarely), but the best way to do this is to use the File > Collect Files command. This will create a project folder, a new project file & copy every asset of your project to that folder and then relink them to the new project. Very helpful when you have files from an entire network in one project.

Before you collect files you might want to do some project housekeeping & organization. You can consolidate the project which if you happen to have the same file twice will remove duplicates. Another thing is to reduce it the project. Select all your final comps, then hit the File > Reduce Project command---this will remove anything you didn't use or is associated with your final comps.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Rajesh KumarRe: Missing File Error
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:28:28 pm

First you can use the File > Reduce Project command by selecting the final composition so that the files that were imported by not used in the project gets removed from the project, after that use the command File>Collect files and make sure that all files option is choosen before you click the Collect file button.
There is a very good video step by step tutorial at which can refer to in case there is any confusion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved