ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Hue shifted after importing to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Viditor CheungHue shifted after importing to AE
by on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:24:10 pm

I have a PRORES quicktime file provided by client.
Because that is a LIPSTICK tvc, so the client is very concern about the color of their product.
the prores file should came from an NTSC world but converted to 25fps by an unknown method.(I am in a PAL world).
When I watched the quicktime file using quicktime pro on my MAC desktop, the lips looks magenta. But when I import that into AE (same monitor, same machine), those lips became orange!
Same thing happen when I imported the quicktime into FCP, Resolve and even Flame!!!
I tried to use color management in AE but none of the color profile combination can put the lips color back to magenta, btw the info tells me the prores file was embedded with a REC709 YUV profile.
Today I sort of fixed the problem by adding a HUE shift filter in AE. I shift the hue of the footage by -6, then the result is very close to what I saw in quicktime pro on desktop!
I know that qt pro using colorsync for playback QT files, is that something related to an NTSC "nature" inside my prores file?
Can somebody explain it? Coz I really want to understand the secret behind that.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Hue shifted after importing to AE
by on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:09:24 pm

Ae's color management works. QuickTime, on the other hand, is not color managed. Its color is a total mess, and you shouldn't necessarily trust what you see here. Also, if your clients are evaluating the same file without color management, they may see something totally different than what you see.

Step 1 in any color-managed workflow: profile your monitor. If you haven't profiled your monitor, color management on the display side cannot hope to be accurate.

Since you don't know the provenance of the file that you were supplied, it's possible that its color was mangled somewhere along the line before it got to you.

Do you have any color-managed stills of the product that you can use as a reference to confirm what the lipstick should look like?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Viditor CheungRe: Hue shifted after importing to AE
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:22:41 am

Really thanks for the quick reply!
I agree with Walter, maybe the file was color managed somehow before reaching my hand. Unfortunately, we don't have any color managed stills or product on hand. The only way is to let the client approved colors on our reference monitor...finally they pick the version with a -6 hue shift(magenta lips).
We sort of fixed the problem, but it still confuse me coz I don't known why a prores quicktime behave so differently between desktop quicktime pro and AE.
I hope to know more coz next time maybe I don't have such a nice client like this hahaha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved