ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Paint - Alpha Turning Black

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kuzelicki
Paint - Alpha Turning Black
on Mar 26, 2013 at 2:21:38 am

Hi,

Have a weird problem: I used Paint to paint out 'stuff I don't want' on some video. I've done this a hundred times, setting it to Alpha and with the Brush set to Black, I just paint out - no problem.

But today, I open my After Effects project and find all my paint strokes have turned black, and I can't understand why.

Looking at all the individual paint strokes inside the Paint effect itself, they are all still set to Alpha.

Strange and annoying, as there is hours and hours of work there. Would love some advice if anyone has an idea what's going on.

Thanks in advance,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Paint - Alpha Turning Black
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:41:17 am

So when you view the alpha (alt/opt-4) is it showing those painted areas as black (transparent) or white (opaque)?

Is your transparency grid turned off in the comp viewer?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:16:32 am

Hey Darby,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I think I've found the problem, however = ME!

Paint was actually working okay, it's just that I was painting out 'greenscreen gunk' on a Comp that contained both the keyed footage and its background together.

I must've been daydreaming as I should have been working on just the keyed layer itself. The 'black paint' wasn't a brush colour at all - it was just the Comp Background colour (coincidentally black) showing through my transparent brush strokes!

I feel a bit silly... but thought I should own up, haha.

Thanks again though. Appreciated,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 26, 2013 at 6:01:31 am

You can change the image channels where your brush stroke occurs by diving into the Timeline's Effect>Paint>Brush # parameters. The Channels drop-down menu allows you to make any related changes accordingly?

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Mar 26, 2013 at 11:56:31 am

Thanks Roland.

All sorted now.

Cheers,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Jerome Perry
on Aug 20, 2017 at 11:18:55 am

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. Was working on paint reveal the other day and it was working, today I open up my project and I have black stroke instead of proper reveal.
Was working on mac, now PC, I don't know if it as something to do with it.

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Aug 21, 2017 at 1:46:28 am

Hey Jerome,

Not sure if you've solved your issue, but for me it was actually that I was showing through the black background beneath the layer. The paint strokes were, in fact, working correctly. I was just seeing them wrong!

Alex

Return to posts index

Jerome Perry
on Aug 21, 2017 at 2:55:30 pm

Well, like I said, I was switching between MAC and PC. It worked fine on the macbook, but once I opened with my PC, the brushes becomed black.
So far the only solution I found is find another mac and do the export, because on mac I don't have this issue.

I guess it's a After Effects's version problem. On mac AE is CC 17 latest update, and CC 17 not up to date on PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]