ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing and using Vectors in After Effects without them rasterising?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Welsh
Importing and using Vectors in After Effects without them rasterising?
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:27:33 pm

Hi guys, I as hoping that somebody on here would be able to help me out.

I'm working on a fairly simple vector-based character rig for an animation I'm doing in After Effects. I drew it all in Flash and Illustrator (Drew it in Flash, saved the selection as an FXG and then saved it again as an .ai), and it's saved as a .ai file. But whenever I import it, all the different components of the vector become rasterised and pixelate prety badly when I do anything to it (The components look alright at 100% zoom or scale, but anything more and it pixelates somethin' nasty!)

And this is a big problem for me, since the only reason I drew the characer in Illustator was so that when I put it in AE, I could resize it and stretch it and suchlike, and it stays as a vector and doesn't get too pixelated.

So is there any way I can make the .ai image so that it stays as a vector when I import it into AE, or at least so that it can be distorted alot without pixelating too badly?

Any help would be appreciated as soon as possible!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Importing and using Vectors in After Effects without them rasterising?
on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:18:25 pm

See this:
FAQ: Why are my vector graphics (e.g., from Illustrator) jagged or soft?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael Welsh
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:38:33 am

Thank you so much! Bit by bit, I'm really starting to figure this software out! Once I have a proper character design all ready to go, building a puppet rig of it and animating it should be a cinch.

Return to posts index

Rajesh Kumar
on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:42:01 am

There is a small icon in After effects in the shape of a star that helps you fix the problem you have encountered. Refer to the tutorial http://bluefx.net/after-effects-templates/importing-your-logo-rasterizing/ so that you can fix the problem easily by follwing the simple tutorial.
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]