ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate Stroke Effect along Motion Path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben schlanzAnimate Stroke Effect along Motion Path
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 4:55:07 pm

Hey!

We ar doing a video, were a stroke of light is following a person.

So the person has a little light in her hand, which i motion track with AE to get a motion path. So long this works fine.

But now i want the stroke effect to follow this motion-null-object so it seems like the person is drawing the line.

How can i do this?

I already tried to somehow convert the motion path into a mask and use this on the stroke effect, but so far no luck...
I also found this: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/991300 But i just donĀ“t get it.

Thanks in Advance
Ben

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Animate Stroke Effect along Motion Path
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 5:51:58 pm

In what way is stroking a mask failing for you? That is what you should do. Give details on exactly what you're doing and exactly how it's not working, and we can help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

ben schlanzRe: Animate Stroke Effect along Motion Path
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:12:49 pm

Hello!

Just tried to find "stroking a mask", but theres only illu tutorials showing up, so i dont really know what you mean by that term.

What is not working:

As you can see here i have the motion path on my "tracker"-layer. Now i try to copy this information per ctrl+c ctrl+v to my shape-layer - >Mask 1 to get a path i can use the stroke-effect on. But this doesnt work, it always copies the info into the transformation-part of the shape-layer.

Maybe im just too stupid and i dont get it at all, how it works.

ben

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Animate Stroke Effect along Motion Path
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:43:27 pm

I meant that you could apply the Stroke effect to a layer containing a mask that uses that path.

Follow the instructions here for creating a mask from a motion path:
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-shapes-masks.html#creat...

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Animate Stroke Effect along Motion Path
by on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:18:30 am

You may want to look at using a particle generator instead of the stroke effect. Here's what http://www.broadcastgems.com/MediaServer01/TrackingTest_PavementLeaves_01.m...
I did awhile back with a 3D tracker. Trapcode Particular was used to generate the organic lines and Trapcide Lux, for the lens orb.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]