ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

create mosaic

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Markeycreate mosaic
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 3:18:53 pm

Hi All,

I have several dozen photos that I need to use in a card wipe style animation. They're all the same dimensions, perfect squares. I'm looking for a quick simple solution to 'tile' these layers before applying the wipe... aka position them so they are perfectly adjacent to one another from side to side and top to bottom. No gaps and no overlap.

Seems like there should be a simple way to do it. Maybe a script or expression?

Thanks,
DM

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: create mosaic
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 4:04:22 pm

Yes, there are a few expressions which will do the job - one of which is called Layers2Grid:

http://aescripts.com/layers2grid/

There are a number of other ways to do it - a killer plugin from Red Giant is called Planespace. It gives you probably way more power than you need, but the layouts you can create with it are mind-boggling, not to mention endlessly time-consuming, without it. I think Layers2grid is the ticket for you.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: create mosaic
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 4:11:58 pm

David -

There's also a very cool script called Collage, which, if your images are not all the same dimension, will build a very nice looking layout for you:

http://motionboutique.com/collage-script-328

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Donny RowlesRe: create mosaic
by on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:44:25 pm

Hi - I'm plopping this question down in this thread - because I think you guys may know what I'm talking about sooner than starting a fresh thread. I'm looking to create a mosaic - of a LOT of images - where I take that batch of images and animate them to look like a company logo I'm making a video for.

Here's the rub, and it has two parts. Part 1 - on my test run - I had to find like 1,200 random images in folders on my computer to get the mosaic to come out looking good - but I don't have the budget to pull 1200 stills from my clients video to make this mosaic. (I think that could take DAYS)

I'm using Macosaix - and it lets you pull images from google images, or flickr - so I may be able to use that technique to gather enough images to make the mosaic...BUT

I want for at least 20 of the images - to be IMAGES FROM THE CLIENT - you know - the images that happen to show up during the mosaic animation to where you can see what they are - I want THOSE images to actually be my clients.

Has anyone dealt with this issue of: trying to see if there's a mosaic program out there that lets you CHOOSE which images you can put into the select locations where images will actually be SEEN CLEARLY?

Thanks for any help.
Best,
Donny Rowles
Hey! Original Television
http://www.donnyrowles.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: create mosaic
by on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:28:50 am

Joe's given you a few excellent solutions. I just want to add that you can use AE's Guides to set up grids or layouts. With Snap to Guides switched on, it's really quick and easy to create a customized grid layout when you don't have a large number of cells to work with.

A huge benefit of doing it manually is the ability to move your layers into specific cells. This is something most scripts fail to provide.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

David MarkeyRe: create mosaic
by on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:33:04 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Very helpful. In the meantime, I've been using the Align and Distribute functions to piece it together. It takes some arithmetic to set the comp size perfectly, but it seems to get the job done after some clicking around. Just another technique for the bag of tricks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: create mosaic
by on Mar 25, 2013 at 1:02:16 am

[David Markey] ", I've been using the Align and Distribute functions to piece it together."

DOH! That's actually better than what I had suggested.

Here's a tip for the Distribute feature -
1) First align your layers (say horizontally) so that they all sit at the same bottom

2) Create two vertical guides. Use the ruler to eyeball where you place the guides. FOr example, if you wanted to distribute five 100x100 solids evenly across without any gaps, you would set the guides precisely 500 pixels apart - x-axis for horizontal distribution.

3) Ensure that ALL of the solids are completely within the vertical guides

4) Place a solid on along the ends of both guides

5) Click on any of the Horizontal Distribution buttons (they all work!)

Voila! All solids are perfectly aligned.

If you wanted a 10-pixel gap between the solids then you will spread your guides 540 pixels apart (4 gaps are required for 5 solids). Then follow steps 4 and 5, as per above.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]