ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Macbook Pro Retina 8GB RAM for After Effects motion graphics?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh BatesMacbook Pro Retina 8GB RAM for After Effects motion graphics?
by on Mar 23, 2013 at 7:00:57 pm

I'm currently looking at the 15-inch 2.4GHz i7 with Retina display
Specs below

2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

I ran a geekbench test to compare my current setup with that of the MBPr (youtube video) I got 6742, the MBPr gets around 12000.

Back to the main question, would 8GB RAM be enough to run after effects smoothly? Geekbench shows I get 3788 at the moment (I have 10GB?) and the MBPr gets 6340.

Also if anyone is using the MacBook Pro Retina please let me know how its going!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Macbook Pro Retina 8GB RAM for After Effects motion graphics?
by on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:28:33 pm

[Josh Bates] "Back to the main question, would 8GB RAM be enough to run after effects smoothly? Geekbench shows I get 3788 at the moment (I have 10GB?) and the MBPr gets 6340."

Yes. However you would be limited in the number of background processes you could use in Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. Depending on the project you might be able to render 2-3 frames simultaneously. If you had 16GB of RAM you might be able (again depending on the project) to push that to 3-5 frames simultaneously.

Geekbench is most likely measuring the speed of the RAM. While that's important the amount of RAM you have doesn't affect its speed.

In general with AE if you can afford more RAM you should go for it.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Macbook Pro Retina 8GB RAM for After Effects motion graphics?
by on Mar 24, 2013 at 2:20:54 pm

[Josh Bates] "Also if anyone is using the MacBook Pro Retina please let me know how its going!
"

Its adequate, however the 8GB of RAM is the limiting factor, you can order it from Apple with 16GB of RAM but cannot install RAM after purchase.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]