ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trying to accomplish an Effect, is it possible on AE ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ego GomesTrying to accomplish an Effect, is it possible on AE ?
by on Mar 23, 2013 at 11:56:54 am

I'm making a "Tale of the Tape" Fighter Breakdown for a project. I've pretty much made a template for what I wanted and I'm happy with it. Does ANYONE know how to do the effect as shown in this video @0:07 seconds where the Fighter's Info/Tale of the Tape Stats sheet forms in the middle of the screen and then expands to outward to the left and right. I really like this effect, I have a template for that Stats sheet and it's all preCOMP'ed just wondering if there is a way to do that outward expansion effect with what I have using AE. Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Trying to accomplish an Effect, is it possible on AE ?
by on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:25:11 pm

It can certainly be done in After Effects, although it was most likely done in a dedicated system that has all of the moves pre-programmed, then the data is just added before the event - look at it closely and pick it apart in your head to figure out the timing.

It's most a matter of timing all the element effects from the top down, and keyframing things like the scales happening on the top two bars, then figuring out which elements need to be Pre-comped to bring them in together, such as the second bar from the top, which has the scale, then text, then light pass. Look at it as a large puzzle, with groups of pieces which are pre-comped, then animated, and some of the pre-comps have animations within them, so you can shift the timing without losing all your work.

The only tricky looking part is the flags wiping on the pictures of the fighters, and if you go through it frame by frame, it's simply the flags scaling in over the fighter pics which seem to be wiping on. The rest is all straightforward keyframing and timing of the numbers scaling and settling, and the glows. It's a lot of simple effects put togther to achieve a very complex looking effect. If you know how to save effects, you can create the keyframes for most of the elements once, then apply them so as to ripple down the screen.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved