ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple handles?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Foran
Multiple handles?
on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:25:21 am

I have an object that I am rotating from the center to spin it. Additionally, I would like to rotate it from the center bottom while it spins. In this case pre-comping it isn't an option. Is there a way to rotate an object from separate handles in the same comp?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Multiple handles?
on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:35:51 am

Create a new Null, place it at the point you want the spinning layer to spin around and make the Null a parent of the spinning layer. Then you can rotate the Null to get the result you described.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:38:31 am

[Mike Foran] "Is there a way to rotate an object from separate handles in the same comp?"

What you want is to have two anchor points (or pivots) acting as the center of rotation - not two handles.

Each layer has its Anchor Point as its default pivot. A Parent layer's Anchor Point will also act as the child's pivot point if you animate the Parent's rotation or scale.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Mike Foran
on Mar 23, 2013 at 2:45:08 pm

Yes, I meant anchors when I said handles, sorry about that.

Still not quite working the way I need. I am attempting to rotate a wheel from it center point anchor on the Z axis, while at the same time orienting it from a second anchor at center bottom. I am trying to be able to roll the wheel, but angle it out when it goes around sharp corners by changing the x orientation. The bottom of the wheel should not slide as it rotates.

I am having a tough time figuring it out. I have built a test comp (which you can see here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t4m3zgl63nmfvn/Rolling%203D%20Wheel.2.aep) in which I have my main wheel (blue) which I rotate on the Z axis from the center anchor. I have a controller wheel (red) that shifts it's anchor point so it can then orient on the x axis.

The problem, as demonstrated here, is that the main wheel, not sharing the same anchor point, looks like it is sliding away when the controller changes orientation. How can I keep the position of the blue wheel the same as the controller while it rotates and orients?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:07:11 pm

It is really hard to see what you're trying to accomplish in the file you supplied. Can you describe what this is supposed to be doing in more detail? Is this supposed to behave like a real world wheel in some way?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:21:21 pm

Here's an attempt based on what you described in your last post.

5713_rolling3dwheel.3.aep.zip

It doesn't behave at all like the file you supplied, but maybe that's a good thing? No expressions necessary, just a Null and some parenting.

Maybe you can direct us from here if this isn't what you're looking for.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]