ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering to Big Screens with unusual Aspect Ratio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Rivera
Rendering to Big Screens with unusual Aspect Ratio
on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:50:09 pm

HI, Everyone. I think this is my first post in CreativeCow, but have been a big fan since forever.

My question is as follows- I have an L.E.D Screen 20mm dot pitch - that is 4 wide by 60 feet height.
I want to render my footage from AE and Premiere and make it fit perfectly like a glove.

How do I convert the 4 x 60 aspect ratio to something I can Put in after effects or premiere?

Also
I am wondering if this is the right workflow?

I render out 1080 width and 1920 height then re import it to a composition that is the aspect ratio conversion of 4 x 60 and scale the imported footage to fit the new comp

what do you thinK?

is there a way to specify the dot pitch amount so that AE and Premiere knows?

I'll appreciate your help greatly!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering to Big Screens with unusual Aspect Ratio
on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:14:48 pm

I think you should contact Walter Soyka, the indidvidual on the COW who apparently has the most experience with multi-screen displays.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:58:37 pm

You should never need to know dot pitch when working in AE or Premiere. The only things that matter when creating content with AE for a specific display is that display's pixel resolution and pixel aspect ratio.

You can simply match your composition settings to these values and you should be good to go.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Sebastian Rivera
on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:17:03 pm

Thank you Dave and Darby.

Darby

is there a math formula to get the aspect ratio based on the screen dimensions and maybe the dot pitch?
or do you get the aspect ratio based on the resolution?

I can ask the screen manufacturers about the resolution but I am not sure they will give me the aspect ratio.

Dave

I will try to contact Walter Soyka if by the end of the day I am still a bit confused.
thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:35:23 pm

If you have the pixel resolution of the display and the physical aspect ratio you can determine the pixel aspect ratio with some simple arithmetic.

Pixel Aspect Ratio = (Physical Width / Physical Height) / (Pixel Width / Pixel Height)

In all likelihood (and in my experience) an LED array will use a square pixel aspect ratio.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:13:20 pm

[Sebastian Rivera] "My question is as follows- I have an L.E.D Screen 20mm dot pitch - that is 4 wide by 60 feet height. I want to render my footage from AE and Premiere and make it fit perfectly like a glove."

You should ask for more information on the playback system and pixel mapping for this LED display.

My back-of-the-napkin calculations suggest that the native resolution of this display is somewhere in the neighborhood of 61 x 915 pixels. However, depending on the video processing necessary to feed that LED system, that may be immaterial.

You need to get a delivery spec that you can work with, so you can be confident your content will play as intended.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]