ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Setting (X , Y) coordinates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wade kimbroughSetting (X , Y) coordinates
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:23:11 pm

Hi,

I am completely new to After Effects and I assume that this is a very simple problem. I have a video clip which I did 2d tracking on. I then copied and pasted the values into an excel spreadsheet. The problem is that for the X Y coordinate system (0,0) is in the upper left hand corner instead of the lower left hand corner. I am trying to bring the data of the spreadsheet into Unity but it is a real headache because I need to adjust all of the values.

Basically what I am asking is how to I get (x,y) coordinates to sit in graph quadrant I and not graph quadrant IV (see attached image) or how do I change (0,0) to the lower left hand corner??

- Wade

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Setting (X , Y) coordinates
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:44:55 pm

I would guess that a simple formula applied in Excel, and then pasted into each cell, would do the trick. What the math is, of course, will depend upon your frame size. If you're working at 1920 x 1080, you would have to do your math with quadrants for those in mind, if you're in SD you'll have to use different math to correspond to your respective screen size.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

wade kimbroughRe: Setting (X , Y) coordinates
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:52:48 pm

Joseph,

Thanks. That was my original thought as well. However, since I will be making many of these at different aspect ratios I was hoping that I could quickly change the settings in AE.

After working with the spreadsheet I now realize that it is just as easy to adjust the formula.

- Wade

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Setting (X , Y) coordinates
by on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:39:43 pm

Yes Wade -

I'd most definitely create a set of cells in which the formula resides, one for each aspect ratio you're working in. Then simply do a single copy and mass paste to all of your cells each time you need to bring it into a different comp.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Setting (X , Y) coordinates
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 6:53:06 am

[wade kimbrough] "The problem is that for the X Y coordinate system (0,0) is in the upper left hand corner instead of the lower left hand corner."

I'm not sure that this is a problem, or at least not the problem you've described.

The [0,0] location in an AE comp is the upper left corner, but the values increase moving to the right and down. So in the graph you've shown in your post the visible values (that is those between [0,0] and [thisComp.width, thisComp.height]) in the AE comp would be in quadrant I as you desire.

They would be mirrored across the X-axis relative to the AE comp but they should be in quadrant I.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]